You can adjust the time that ACT! Premium for Web will allow a user to be non-active before they will be logged out. There are two conditions that you must meet to enable this feature:
Note: This Hotfix is only applied to the Server hosting ACT! Premium for Web. No changes are required for your web users.
- You must have the latest update to ACT! Premium for Web (version 188.8.131.52). You can verify this by clicking the Help menu, and then clicking About ACT! at the server. The version number is displayed near the top of this dialog box. When you login as a Web user you will see a version number of 184.108.40.2063. Please refer to the following Knowledge Base Answer for detailed information on updating ACT! Premium for Web:
- You must download and install the APFW705_TimeOut_Hotfix.zip file. Please refer to the Downloading and Installing the APFW705_TimeOut_Hotfix section below for detailed information:
Title: How To Update ACT! Premium for Web to Version 7.0.5.
Answer ID: How To Update ACT! Premium for Web to Version 7.0.5.
Downloading and Installing the APFW705_TimeOut_Hotfix:
You must apply the APFW705_TimeOut_Hotfix.zip file to enable the timeout feature. Use the following steps:
Note: We do not warrant that the functions contained in the ACT! “Hotfix” will meet your needs or requirements or that installation of the “Hotfix” will be error free. If you install a “Hotfix” you do so at your own risk. A 'Hotfix" is not supported by our technical support. THE “HOTFIX” IS PROVIDED “AS IS” WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR IMPLIED TERMS OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS, IMPLIED OR STATUTORY, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION ANY WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. THE ENTIRE RISK ARISING OUT OF THE USE OF THE “HOTFIX” REMAINS WITH YOU. By Downloading this file you agree to these terms.Download and save this file to your computer:
- Right-click the APFW705_TimeOut_Hotfix.zip file from the File Attachments area of this document.
- Click Save Target As, browse to your Windows Desktop, (do not rename this file), and then click Save.
Installing the Hotfix:
You must use a compression utility such as WinZip installed to perform this procedure. Most any compression utility will work, including the Windows XP compressed folder utility. WinZip was simply used as the example for this document. For information on acquiring an evaluation version of the WinZip compression utility click the following link: http://www.winzip.com/
- Ensure that all Web user are logged out of ACT! Premium for Web before applying this Hotfix. You can do this by restarting Internet Information Services (IIS). For detailed information on restarting IIS. please refer to the How to Reset IIS section near the end of this Answer.
- Double-click the APFW705_TimeOut_Hotfix.zip
file saved to your Windows Desktop. Your compression utility launches:
- Click the Extract icon, the Extract dialog box appears:
- Browse to your install folder for ACT! Premium for Web (C:\Program Files\ACT\ACT for Web), and then click Extract. WinZip (or your compression utility) re-appears as the APFW705_TimeOut_Hotfix.zip file is placed into the designated folder.
- Close WinZip (or your compression utility), and then launch Windows Explorer.
- Browse to the Bin folder for ACT! Premium for Web. The default location is:
C:\Program Files\ACT\ACT for Web\APFW\Bin
- Rename the following
files by adding .bak to the end of each. These file are going to be
replaced with the newer versions from the hotfix file. This will preserve these
file if you would like to uninstall the Hotfix in the future:
- Copy the following files from the ACT for Web folder to the Bin
default location is:
- Rename the Global.js by adding .bak to the end so that the filename is Global.js.bak. This file will be replaced with the newer versions from the hotfix file. This will preserve this file if you would like to uninstall the Hotfix in the future.
Setting the Auto TimeOut Value:
C:\Program Files\ACT\ACT for Web\APFW
Use the following steps:
- Open the Web.config file in a text editor program such as Notepad.
Note: The default value is 20 minutes. A two minute warning is provided for all logged in users.
- Locate the sessionState section and change the value for timeout to the desired amount, and then save your changes.
- You must reset IIS to apply your changes. For detailed information on restarting IIS, please refer to the How to Reset IIS section below:
Note: When the Hotfix has been installed and
IIS restarted the version number will be 220.127.116.114 in the Web interface
dialog box. Your Web login page will still display a version number of
18.104.22.1683. At the server it will read version 7.0.499 in the About ACT!
First, change "be" to "been". Second, please specify that 22.214.171.1244 when clicking help/about in the web interface. It will say 7.0.499 in the server application and 126.96.36.1993 in the web login screen. Thanks
How to Reset IIS (Internet Information Services):
Use the following steps:
- Click the Windows Start button, and then click Run. The Run dialog box appears.
- Type iisreset into the Open field, and then click OK.
The following 'Command Prompt' window appears:
- In a few seconds, the 'Command Prompt' widow will update with the
Internet services successfully stopped, attempting start
- When IIS is finished restarting, this window will close.