Product Family: Act!
Product: Act! Premium
Version: v18, v19, v20, v21.0
NOTE: If you are using Act! v21.1 or above, please see the following article instead:
How do I perform a silent installation of Act! v21.1 or above on client computers?
Silent Install Requirements
NOTE: We recommend disabling User Account Control (UAC) and restarting both the client and server computers before peforming the steps outlined below.
To ensure a successful silent installation, the workgroup server and client computers must meet the following requirements.
Workgroup Server and Client Computer Requirements
- A supported operating system is installed. For system requirements, refer to the following knowledgebase article:
What are the system requirements for Act!?
Answer ID What are the system requirements for Act!?
- No version of Act! is installed.
- No Microsoft SQL Server instance of Act! exists.
- All applications are closed. Open applications may cause conflicts with the installation.
- Personal firewall software is disabled. You can enable the firewall after installation.
- The person who starts Act! the first time is a local Windows® Administrator on the computer so they can activate the application. Otherwise, Act! may not function correctly.
- If using Windows Vista® or Windows 7®, your phone and modem options on the workgroup server are configured and User Account Control (UAC) is disabled on all client computers.
- The LanManServer or Server service is running. (To check this, click Start, point to Control Panel, double-click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Services. In the Name list, locate LanManServer or Server. The status should indicate Started.) Note: Procedures to access Services, and the server name, may differ depending on your operating system. See Microsoft documentation. Client Computer Requirements
- Windows Installer 4.5 is installed. Note: Some supported operating systems include Windows Installer 4.5. If your operating system does not, you must install it manually.
- Internet Explorer is installed. See system requirements at:www.act.com/systreq.
- The computer must have an appropriate amount of RAM. See system requirements at:www.act.com/systreq.
- The computer must be up-to-date with Windows Critical updates. If updates are applied prior to silently installing Act!, a restart is required.
- The computer must have an Internet connection and be on-line when Act! is launched the first time. If not, an error message appears.
- To use the Windows Scheduled Tasks wizard, all other users must be logged off the machine.
The Silent Install Process
- Create a shared folder on the machine you wish to run the deployment from
- Unpackage the install media by running the *.exe file you downloaded when you purchased Act!
Note: This file name varies depending on the version and build of Act! you are installing. For example, Act! Premium v19.0 would be act!_premium_v19_sp0x147.exe
- Once the installer menu opens, instead of choosing to Install, click Exit
- Browse to C:\act!_premium_v19_sp0x147-en and copy the contents of this folder to the shared folder you created in step 1
- From the shared folder, copy the SI folder to the ACTWG folder
- In the copy of the SI folder, delete the ResponseResult.txt file
- At this point, you MUST restart the machine in order for the next steps to complete successfully.
- Using the steps below, create an InstallShield Silent Response (ISS) file:
a. Press the Windows key + R to bring up the Run dialog
b. In the Open Field, type \\[server_name]\[shared_folder]\ACTWG\setup.exe /r /f1\\[server_name]\[shared_folder]\ACTWG\SI\issconfig.iss
c. Press Enter
d. Once completed, open the copy of the SI folder from step 6 and verify that it contains the issconfig.iss file
Note: The name of the folder on the C:\ drive will match the name of the *.exe file you unpacked
if NOT DEFINED IS_MINIMIZED set IS_MINIMIZED=1 && start "" /min "%~dpnx0" %* && exit
"\\[server_name]\[shared_folder]\ACTWG\ISSetupPrerequisites\VCPlus2010\vcredist_x86.exe" /q /norestart & "\\[server_name]\[shared_folder]\ACTWG\ISSetupPrerequisites\DOTNET40FULL\dotNetFx40_Full_x86_x64.exe" /q /norestart & "\\[server_name]\[shared_folder]\ACTWG\setup.exe" /s /f1"\\[server_name]\[shared_folder]\ACTWG\SI\issconfig.iss" /f2"C:\installation_output.log"
Note: Brackets indicate a variable. Do not include the brackets in the final text.
Note: This can be run manually, or can be deployed via a group policy.