An ACT! database created in the Premium Edition cannot be opened with the ACT! for Windows (Standard) Edition of the software. You must save a copy of a Premium Edition database to the Standard Edition format before you will be able to open it in the Standard edition.
If you would like to transfer the Standard Edition database to another computer. You must transfer both the .ADF and .ALF database files, and then open the .ADF file through the ACT! (Standard Edition) software installed on another computer. Instructions for opening a database through the .ADF file are included at the end of this document.
WARNING: After following the process below, do not reopen the database until you have downgraded your ACT! program. Opening the database in the current program will cause the database to revert back to ACT! Premium product.
Follow the steps below:
- From the ACT! Premium Edition database, click the File menu, and then click Save Copy As. The Save Copy As dialog box appears:
Note: The following images are based upon the ACT! 2008 version. If you are using a different version of ACT!, your screens may vary slightly.
- Enter a unique Database Name for this Standard copy of your Premium database.
- Click the Browse button at the Database Location field. A Browse for Folder dialog box appears:
- Navigate to (if necessary) and click the folder that you wish to save this copy of your database, and then click OK. The Save Copy As dialog box reappears with the Database Location field now displaying your designated directory.
- Clear the Share this database with other users option (if desired.)
- In the Options section, ensure that Create a copy of the database option is enabled, change the Database Version field to display ACT! 2008 (or your current version), and then click OK.
A copy of your Premium Edition database is created that can be opened with ACT! Standard Edition.
Prior to copying the database files for transfer, it is strongly recommended that you stop the local ACT! SQL Server service instance. Once you have copied the two database files to the removable media or network location, be sure to restart the service. Follow the steps below:
- Click the Windows Start button, and then click Run. The Run dialog box appears.
- Type services.msc into the Open field, and then click OK. The Services dialog box appears:
To STOP the service:
From the Services panel, right-click the MSSQL$ACT7 row, then select Stop from the shortcut menu. You may also click the square stop button on the toolbar.
To START the service:
From the Services panel, right-click the MSSQL$ACT7 row, and then click Start. You could also click the forward arrow (play) button on the toolbar.
How to Open an ACT! Database With the .ADF File:
If you are transferring the database from a different computer, you must copy the .ADF and .ALF files into a folder on the new hard drive. Do not copy them to the root of a drive or to the Windows Desktop. Opening the database with the .ADF file will create a new .PAD file for your database in the specified location.
The default location for these files is as follows:
C:\Documents and Settings\<User_Name>\My Documents\ACT\ACT for Win 7\Databases
Follow the steps below:
- Launch ACT!.
- Click File, then Open Database. An Open dialog box appears.
- From the Files of Type drop-down, click ACT! Database (*.ADF).
- Browse to the location of the .ADF file you noted in the Search Results, click the file, and then click Open. The following ACT! message appears.
- Click OK to verify and update the database. The following ACT! message appears.
- Click OK to complete the process and open your database.