There is more than one potential cause for this error. A "404" error is displayed by Internet Information Services when a requested resource can not be found.
Correct Sync Server Address:
Ensure that the Sync Server Connection setting are correct at the remote database.
Note: Images in your version of ACT! may differ slightly from the images used in this Answer.
For detailed information on how to setup synchronization connection information, please refer to the following Knowledge Base document:
Title: Managing Synchronization Connection Information
Answer ID: Managing synchronization connection information (remote databases only)
TCP Port Setting:
Ensure that Internet Information Services (IIS) Default Web Site is set to TCP Port: 80.
To verify this use the following steps:
- Note: The following information is provided as a convenience. Sage Software,
Inc., does not provide support for Microsoft Products. For more information on this topic go to
- Right-click My Computer from you Desktop, and then click Manage from the shortcut menu. The Computer Management
- Expand the list in the left pane to display Default Web Site inside of Services and Applications and Internet Information Services.
- Right-click Default Web Site, and then click Properties from the shortcut menu. The Default Web Site Properties
dialog box appears:
- Ensure under the Web Site tab that the TCP Port is set to 80.
- If not, consult your Windows manual for information on how to change this setting.
Internet Synchronization requires that port 80 be available to use for communicate with remote database(s). Check for the presence of firewalls, anti-virus, ad-blockers, spyware, anti-spyware, and port sniffers software that could be monitoring and/or blocking port 80. Anything that can block or obstruct port traffic should be disabled to determine if it is causing the failure. Please refer to the following Knowledge Base document for more information:
Title: How to Add ACT! 2005 to the Exception List for Windows XP Internet Connection Firewall
Title : How to Disable the Windows XP Service Pack 2 Firewall Component
Answer ID:How to Disable the Windows XP Service Pack 2 Firewall Component
Title: How to Setup ACT! Internet Sync Service Through a Firewall Without Opening a UDP (User Datagram Protocol) Port
Answer ID: How to Setup ACT! Internet Sync Service Through a Firewall Without Opening a UDP (User Datagram Protocol) Port
On Windows Server 2003: Ensure that ASP.NET is set to Allowed under Web Server Extensions in the Computer Management panel. Use the following steps:
- Click the Windows Start button, point to Programs, point
to Administrator Tools, and then click Computer Management. The Computer
Management panel appears:
- Expand Computer Management (Local), Services and Applications, Internet Information Services, and then click Web Service Extensions.
- Click ASP.NET v1.1.4322 in the right pane from the Web Service Extension column.
- Verify that the Status column reads Allowed, if not click the Allow button.