There is more then one cause for this issue. This error can occur if the ACT! 7 SQL Server Instance is not running or if ACT! is not properly installed. This issue has also been documented when SQL Server is blocked by your firewall.
Please refer to each section below to resolve this issue.
ACT! 7 Instance not Started:
Use the following steps to ensure that the ACT! 7 SQL Server Instance is running:
- Click the Windows Start button, and then click Run.
- Type services.msc into the Open field, and then click OK.
The Windows Services panel appears:
- In the right pane locate MSSQL$ACT7 in the Name column.
- Ensure the Status column shows Started.
- If the ACT! instance is Started continue to the Uninstall and Reinstall section of this document.
- If the ACT! instance is Stopped or that column is blank you will need to start the service.
- To START the service, either:
- From the Services panel, right-click the MSSQL$ACT7 row, and
then click Start. You could also click the forward arrow (play) button
on the toolbar.
- Click the Windows Start button, click Run, type net start MSSQL$ACT7, and then click OK.
Firewall Blocking SQL Server
This issue has also been found to occur with conflicts occurring from other SQL instances or anti/virus and firewall applications. To resolve this issue, you may need to create exceptions in your firewall for SQL Server. For more information on this process, please refer to the following Knowledgebase Answer:
Title: Using your Anti-Virus/Firewall with ACT! by Sage
Answer ID: Using your antivirus/firewall software with Act!
This error will result if ACT! was not properly installed. To resolve this issue, you must uninstall, and then reinstall the ACT! Software. If you are using Windows XP, you can reinstall in Windows Selective Startup mode to help ensure a proper reinstallation. Refer to the following Knowledge Base Answers for detailed information on uninstalling and reinstalling the ACT! software.
Title: How To Uninstall ACT! 2006
Answer ID: How To Uninstall ACT! 2006
Title: How to Uninstall ACT! 2005
Answer ID: How to Uninstall ACT! 2005
Title: How to Install ACT! in Windows Selective Startup Mode
Answer ID: How to Install ACT! in Windows Selective Startup Mode