$obsdisclaimer To use the ACT! Network Sync Service with ACT! 2006, you will need to download the latest version of the Network Sync Service, stop and uninstall the service, and then install and configure the updated version of the ACT! Network Sync Service.
Use the following steps to update the ACT! Network Sync Service:
- Close ACT!
- Right-click the Network Sync Service icon in the system tray, and click Exit, to stop the Network Sync Service.
- Uninstall the Sync Service:
- Launch the Windows Control Panel, and then click the Add or Remove Programs icon. The Add or Remove Programs dialog box appears:
- Click the ACT! Network Sync Service option, and then the click Change/Remove button. The following InstallShield Wizard dialog box appears:
- Enable the Remove option, and then click Next. The Confirm Uninstall dialog box appears:
- Click OK to proceed. When the uninstall is complete, the following InstallShield Wizard dialog box appears:
- Click Finish to complete the process.
- Download and Save (Windows Desktop is the recommended location) the ACT! Network Sync Service from the ACT! Download Web page. (Do not rename this file.)
- Once the download is complete, double-click the ACT_Network_Sync.exe file. The following WinZip Self-Extractor - ACT_Network_Sync.exe dialog box appears:
- The Unzip to folder location is pre-set to c:\ACTv801\NetSync. Do not change this. Click the Unzip button. The following WinZip Self-Extractor message box appears.
- Click OK.
- Click the Windows Start button, and then click Run. The Run dialog box appears.
c:\actv801\netsync\setup.exe into the Open field, and then click OK. The
InstallShield Wizard - Preparing to Install message box appears:
- When install preparations are complete, the Welcome dialog box appears:
- Click Next. The Customer Information dialog box appears:
- Type in your User Name and Company Name. Enable the appropriate Install this application for: option, and then click Next. The Choose Destination Location dialog box appears:
- The default location is C:\...ACT\ACT for Windows\Network Sync (recommended). You may install to a different folder by clicking the Browse button to change this destination.
- Click Next. The Select Program Folder dialog box appears:
- Click Next to accept the default Program Folder that will contain ACT! Network Sync Service. The Start Copying Files dialog box appears:
- Review your installation setting, and then either click Back to make any needed changes, or Next to start copying files to your computer. The Setup Status dialog box appears:
- When all files are finished copying, the Completing the ACT! Network Sync Setup dialog box appears:
- Enable the Launch ACT! Network Sync option, and then click Finish to start the Sync Service (or click Finish to complete the install and not start the Sync Service).
For detailed information on how to start the Sync Service, please refer to the Configuring and Starting the ACT! Network Sync Service section below.
Note: It is recommended that you do not change the location of your destination folder. Although the destination location may reflect an ACT! for Win 7 folder, you need not to have ACT! 2005 installed. If this folder does not exist, it is created in the process of installing ACT! 2006.
Configuring and Starting the ACT! Network Sync Service:
Once you have installed the ACT! Network Sync Service, you will need to configure and start the service. Follow the steps below to configure and start the ACT! Network Sync Service:
- Click the Windows Start button, point to Programs, point to ACT! Network Sync Service, and then click ACT! Network Sync. The ACT! Network Sync Service dialog box appears:
- Click Add. The Sync Database dialog box appears:
- This dialog box is used to add databases that you would like ACT! Sync Service to monitor.
- Database Machine: Click the Browse button and navigate to machine hosting the Publisher database. Select this database and then click OK .
- Database Name: Enter the name of the database you would like to monitor for incoming synchronizations, and then click OK. The ACT! Network Sync Service dialog box reappears with your Computer name\database name displayed:
- Click Add and repeat step 3 if you wish to monitor more than one database.
- Click Start Sync Service, this button will change to read Stop Sync Service and you will have a new icon in your system tray , (located near the system clock in the lower-right corner of your screen). The Sync Service is now running and will continue to run until you stop it. If you restart your computer while the Sync Service is running, it will restart automatically.
- To close the ACT! Sync Service dialog box, right-click the Sync Service icon in your system tray, and then click Show/Hide from the shortcut menu.
For more information on managing the ACT! Network Sync Service, please refer to the following Knowledge Base Answer:
Answer ID: How to Manage ACT! Network Sync Service in ACT! Premium for Workgroups 2006 (8.0)