Note: Only Users with Administrator and Manager security level may create an Empty Copy of the database.
Saving an empty copy of your ACT! database is necessary if you would like to duplicate the structure of a an existing database.
Important Note: When you make an empty copy of a database, the following items will not be copied:
- Contact data (including documents and attachments)
- Custom layouts (except in versions 15.1 and later)
- Custom templates
- Custom reports
- Custom queries
Answer ID: How to copy customized layouts, mail merge templates, reports, envelopes, labels, and queries from one Act! database to another
To create the empty copy, follow these steps:
- Open your ACT! database that you would like to create an empty copy of.
- Click the File menu, and then click Save Copy As. The Save Copy As dialog box appears:
Note - You cannot save an empty copy as a previous version.
- Type in a name for your new empty database. (it cannot contain any spaces or any other punctuation except underscores.)
- Clear the Share this database with other users option (if desired) and ensure that the Create an empty copy of the database option is enabled.
- If you would like to change the location of this database, click the Browse button at the Database Location field. The Browse For Folder dialog appears. Click the folder where the database will be saved to highlight it and click OK.
- Click OK. The Save Empty Copy As dialog appears:
- You may either choose the User Name for this database from an existing contact, or create a new User Name.
- To choose the User Name for this database from an existing contact, click the drop down arrow at the Choose Contact field, and then click the Name you wish to be the (initial) User of this database.
- To create a new User Name, type a new name into the Choose Contact field. Be sure that no commas, apostrophes or other punctuation exists in this name. The name appears as you click into the User Name field. Enter and Confirm a Password, if necessary, and then click OK. A Saving progress indicator appears as the database is created:
- When completed successfully, the following ACT! message appears:
- Click OK to return to your original database.
When you open the empty copy of your database the first time ACT! must verify the new database. Use the following steps:
- Click the File menu, then click Open Database, and then (if necessary) browse to the location you specified in step five above. Click the empty copy (.PAD file) database, and then click Open. The following ACT! dialog box appears:
- Click OK. A Working progress indicator appears, followed by an Updating progress indicator:
- When complete, the following ACT! message appears:
- Click OK to continue.
- This database will open with a single contact record.