This is an issue that has been reported to affect users of ACT! by Sage if Duplicate Checking is enabled in the database. To work around this issue, please use the following steps:
Note: If using Sage ACT! 2012 duplicating checking will be under the Admin tab.
- Open the database in ACT!
- Click the Tools menu and select Preferences.
- On the General tab, select Duplicate Checking...
- Unselect the Enable duplicate checking in the database checkbox.
- Click OK to close the Duplicate Checking dialog box.
- Click OK to close the Preferences dialog box.
- Test creating a new contact in ACT!.
Important Note for Remote Database Users:
If you are having this issue and using a remote database, then the steps above will not apply as the Duplicate Checking preference is disabled in remote databases. The workaround is to open the Demo database and follow the process above to disable Duplicate Checking in the Demo. Then close the Demo database, reopen your remote database, and test. The Demo database should be locally installed on your machine and will be named ACT(version#)Demo (ex, ACT11Demo). The default location will be C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Shared Documents\ACT\Act for Windows (version#)\Databases. The login user name is "Chris Huffman", with no password.