This error can occur due to a damaged system file. Follow the steps below to attempt to resolve:
- When the error message appears, do not click any of the options in the error box and do not cancel the installation. Leave the error on your screen.
- Open Windows® Explorer ("Computer" or "My Computer" on your Desktop or Start Menu). Click the Tools menu, then select Folder Options, then click the View tab.
- Under the Advanced Options, select the option to Show hidden files and folders, and uncheck the option to Hide extensions for known file types.
- Click Apply to save, then OK to close.
- In Windows Explorer, browse to the following directory: C:\WINDOWS\system32.
- In the system32 directory, locate the following file: perf-MSSQL10_50.ACT7-sqlagtctr.dll.
- Right-click on this file, select Rename, then rename the file by adding .OLD to the end of the filename.
- Go back to the SQL Server installation and click Retry on the error message.