This error indicates that a needed registry key is missing. To resolve this issue, you must add this key into your Windows Registry. Follow the steps below:
Important Note: Before making any changes to the registry, it is strongly advised you backup the registry first. Instructions for this are in Knowledgebase Article 13807
- Click your Windows Start button, and on the Start menu either click Run (Windows XP®) or go to the Search box on the bottom of the Start menu (Windows 7, Windows Vista®).
- Type in regedit and press Enter on your keyboard. The Windows registry editor will open.
- On the left, locate the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
- Click this key and browse down to the following subkey: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\RsFx0150.
- Right-click on the RsFX0150 key and select New > Key. Name this new key InstancesShares.
- Close the registry editor, reboot your computer, and attempt the install of the ACT7 instance of SQL Server again.