You are attempting to create a remote database and receive the following error:
"Unable to cast object of type 'System.Security.Principal.GenericPrincipal' to type 'System.Principal.WindowsPrincipal'."
Product Family: Act!
Product: Sage ACT! Pro, Sage ACT! Premium
There can be multiple causes for this error message. Use the following options to resolve the issue.
Option 1 - Disable UAC
- Close Act!
- Disable UAC using the appropriate article:
- Title: How to Change or Disable User Account Control (UAC) in Windows® 7 & Windows Server® 2008
- Answer ID:
- Title: How to Disable User Account Control (UAC) in Windows Vista®
- Answer ID:
- Launch Act! and attempt to create remote database
Option 2 - Run ResetSQL.bat
- Download and save the ResetSQL.bat file in the File Attachments section at the bottom of this article
- Double-click the saved file
- Answer No to the question "Do you want to turn off Password Policy?" and Yes to the question "Do you want to Reset SQL?"
- Browse to installation folder
- C:\Program Files\ACT\Act for Windows
- C:\Program Files (x86)\ACT\Act for Windows
- Locate and double-click file: SecurityCmdLnApp.exe
- After command finishes, launch Act! and attempt to create remote database
Note: Microsoft® SQL Server®, Windows Vista®, and the Windows logo are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Microsoft Corporation in the United States and/or in other countries.