Question: How do I set up Act! Companion?
Product Family: Act!
Deployment: Desktop, Web and Cloud
Integration: Act! Web API, Act! Connect Link, Act! Companion
In order to use Act! Companion, you must have an Act! subscription (or be using an Act! in the Cloud trial). If you are an Act! in the Cloud subscriber, you only need to follow the steps in this article for installing and configuring Act! Companion on your mobile device. If you are an Act! desktop subscriber, you will need to either install the Act! Web API or the Act! Connect Link in order to use Act! Companion. For information on installing and configuring either of these prerequisites, refer to the following knowledgebase articles:
What is the Act! Web API?
Frequently Asked Questions about Act! Connect Link
Additionally, once the Web API is set up, in order to use Act! Companion, you will either need to be an Administrator, or if you are a Manager or Standard user, you will need to have the database Administrator add the Act! Web API access permissions to your login. For information about how to add permissions to database users, refer to the following knowledgebase article:
How to create and manage database Users in Act!
Installing and configuring Act! Companion
1. Search for Act! Companion in the app store for your device, or from your device, navigate to one of the following links, depending on your device type:
Android Devices: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.act.companion
iOS devices: https://appsto.re/us/L-pMfb.i
2. Once installed, open Act! Companion
3. On the log in page, if you log into your Act! in the Cloud database by going to https://my.act.com/ then make sure you tap the Use My Act! Login button, then simply enter the email address and password you use to access your database normally.
4. If you do not log into Act! in the method described above, instead enter your database username and database password in the respective fields, then tap Continue
5. In the Server Address URL field, enter the appropriate URL, depending on how you use Act!:
- Act! access via web or Act! in the Cloud: Enter the URL (web address) you use to access your database (For example: https://[yourwebsite].com/apfw -or- https://[yourwebsite].com/[yourdatabasename] )
- Act! for Windows: Log into Act! on the server, click Act! Connect in the Navbar on the left side of the screen. Use the URL (web address) shown at the top of the page. This cannot be obtained from a workstation. (For example: https://[port number].g2c.cloud-elements.com/act.web.api)
6. In the Server Database Name field, enter your database name exactly as shown in the drop-down menu on the login page for your database if you’re using Act! access via web or Act! in the Cloud, or as it appears in the top left corner of the Act! Program if you’re using Act! for Windows
Note: If you log out of the app, it will remember your server address and database name, but you will still need to re-enter your username and password to log back into the app.
8. Tap Login
For more information about working with Act! Companion, refer to the following knowledgebase article:
How to Get Started with Act! Companion