Versions Affected: v18.2, v19.0, v19.1
Steps to Reproduce
Launch Act! and navigate and use the program as normal.
The error occurs when the program's memory usage grows to about 1GB. In normal operation, it typically takes around 4-8 hours of Act! usage for the memory footprint to grow this large, however the frequency of the issue occurring is very dependent on usage variation as well as data variation.
This emergence of this issue is linked to a set of Windows patches released by Microsoft after March 15th 2017 which have changed how memory in .NET is released back to the Windows operating system. The issue has been reported on all Windows versions, which have had these patches applied.
This issue is resolved in Act! v19.1 Update 4, and in Act! v19.2 and later
If you are using Act! v18.2 or v19.0, you can work around this issue using the information below:
A new background memory cleanup function has been implemented which forces .NET to release unreferenced memory every 2 hours by default. Since the frequency of this issue can be higher for some users, this time value can be changed by editing a configuration value in the Act!.exe.config file, found in the Act! installation folder.
To change how often Act! cleans up memory:
- Using notepad (or other text editor), open the configuration file located at (for example): C:\Program Files (x86)\ACT\Act for Windows\Act!.exe.config
- Locate the following line:
<add key="TrimRAMInterval" value="120" />
- Decrease the default value "120" to a smaller number. This is the time in minutes between memory cleanups.
Note: Setting the value to "0" will prevent the cleanup function from running.
- Continue using Act! as normal to test for the issue reoccurring.
- If the issue continues, repeat the steps again, further reducing the time value in step 3.
Reference #: D-05700
Status: Closed in v19.1 Update 4, Closed in v19.2