Note: Before attempting this procedure, make sure you have all the account information required to connect with your ISP.
Setting Up Internet Mail
- Click the Edit menu, then click Preferences. The Preferences dialog appears.
- Click the E-mail tab. ACT! may prompt you with the following message, You haven't set up any e-mail systems. You will need to do this before you can send or receive e-mail in ACT!. Would you like to set up e-mail systems now?. If so, click Yes. Otherwise, click the E-mail System Setup button. The E-mail Setup Wizard appears.
- You will see a list of all e-mail applications available on your system. Enable the Internet mail option, then click Next.
- Existing Internet mail accounts found on your computer will be displayed. You will be allowed to enable one of these existing accounts or set up a new one. To create a new account, click New Account. The Add Internet Account dialog appears.
- Type your user name or some other unique account identifier, and click OK.
- Enter your account information into the appropriate fields. (See the description for each field in the table below.) If you have multiple Internet mail accounts, you will need to specify this information as you set up each account. Contact your ISP if you do not have the required account information.
Account Information OptionsDescription
- Default account (Username)
Enter your user name. This is the name you use to log in to your e-mail account. If you have multiple accounts, this account will be used for sending e-mail messages.
- Outgoing SMTP Server
Enter the host name of the SMTP server used for sending e-mail messages. This server may be different from the POP server. You may need to enter the SMTP settings for your ISP instead of the SMTP for the E-mail provider.
- Incoming POP3 Server
Enter the host name of the POP3 server used for retrieving e-mail messages.
- Real Name
Enter your complete name. This is the name that appears in the From field of e-mail messages you send.
Enter your company name. Some e-mail systems display a line in a message with the organization name.
- Reply To Address
Enter the return address you want to appear in messages you send.
- Remember My Password
Have ACT! store your e-mail password so you will not have to enter it when logging on to your Internet e-mail account.
- Leave Retrieved Messages On Server
Leave a copy of the message on the server so that you can retrieve it again later from another computer. Note that you can retrieve a message only once from a single computer.
7. From the Connect To The Internet Using list, select the type of Internet connection you will be using.
8. (Optional) Click the Advanced button to set additional options. The Advanced dialog appears.
||Using a password is the standard way of being identified when logging into your Internet account.|
||Select APOP to use an encrypted password.|
||Connect to the server and make sure that the connection works. If the connection does not work, try to connect to the Internet from outside of ACT! If you can connect to the Internet outside of ACT!, go back to the E-mail Setup Wizard and verify that your Internet mail settings are correct.|
Note: If you are unsure about these settings, contact your ISP for more information.
Sending and Receiving Mail Messages
- From any ACT! window, click the View menu, then click E-mail.
- Right-click the Internet Mail Inbox, then click Get/Send Mail. ACT! may prompt you for a password, and will then connect to the specified mail system, send any messages waiting in your Outbox, and download and display mail messages you have received.
Following is a form you can use to get the information you need from your Internet Service Provider:
|Default account (Logon Username)|
|Outgoing SMTP Server|
|Incoming POP3 Server|
|Real Name (optional)|
|Reply To Address (users return e-mail address)|