ACT! layouts are not included in the 17 to 24 files that make up an ACT! database. Each layout is a separate file. They are stored, by default, in the \Act\Layout folder. Depending on situation, this folder may be on your local hard drive or on a network. ACT! comes with a number of default layouts, and there are separate layouts for the Contact window (these have .cly extension) and the Group window (these have .gly extension).
When you copy an ACT! database to another computer, (or are sharing a database between two or more computers) you need to copy your layouts to that computer as well. If you have been using a customized layout, locate the file and copy it to the new machine.
For example, if you created a new layout called Prospects, there will be a PROSPECTS.CLY file (and perhaps a PROSPECTS.GLY file) in the \Act\Layout folder. Copy this file (or files) to the new destination. If, however, you are not sure of the file name (the display name of the default layouts is not always the same as the file name), you will need to open the layout, save it with a new name, then copy it to the new destination folder, as follows:
- On the first computer, open the layout that you want to copy to the second computer.
- Click the Tools menu, and then click Design Layouts. The layout designer appears.
- Click the File menu, and then click Save As. A Save As dialog appears.
- Type in a unique name for this layout, and then click Save.
- Launch Windows Explorer, then navigate to and open the Act\Layout folder and copy the file that you just saved to the second computer's Act\Layout folder.
- Note: By default, ACT! stores layouts in the Act\Layout folder. This can be changed in ACT! Preferences. If this has been changed, or you are not sure where ACT! is looking for layout files, follow these steps to check and, if desired, change this location:
- Click the Edit Menu, and then click Preferences. The Preferences dialog appears.
- Under the General tab, in the Default Locations section, change the File Type to Layout. The Location field below will display where ACT! is looking for these files.
- If you want to change the folder location, click Browse to locate and select the desired folder. You may need to do this on both computers.
- Click OK when you are finished.
For additional information regarding sharing your ACT! database, refer to the following document:
- Title : How to Share an ACT! Database on a Local Area Network (LAN)
How to Share an ACT! Database on a Local Area Network (LAN)