The Act! Network Sync Service for Act! Premium can be configured to synchronize across the Internet without needing to create and manage a Web Site using software such as Internet Information Services (IIS).
Note: A Static IP Address is recommended. If using a dynamic IP address which can frequently change, this will disrupt your ability to synchronize. Please contact your Network Consultant or Internet Service Provider for information on how to obtain a static IP address.
You must configure your router to forward the TCP port number(s) that are being monitored by the computer running the Act! Network Sync Service. This will allow a Remote database outside of your Local Area Network to connect to the Publisher database. Please refer to your router documentation or the Internet for details on port forwarding. For a description of port forwarding, please refer to the following Knowledgebase article:
Answer ID: Understanding Port Forwarding With Act!
Note: Utilizing port forwarding can potentially give unauthorized users access to your network and creates a potential security risk. Please ensure you take appropriate security measures regarding port forwarding if choosing to utilize the information in this document.
Note: The Act! Network Sync Service can be installed on a computer regardless of whether it has a workstation or a server operating system.
Ideally, you would install Act!, the Publisher database and the Act! Network Sync Service on the same computer. However, you can install the sync service on a different computer. For more information on setting up the sync service in this way, please refer to the following Knowledgebase article:
Title: How to Setup Network Synchronization When the Act! Network Sync Service and Your Act! Database are Not on the Same Computer
Answer ID:How to Setup Network Synchronization When the ACT! Network Sync Service and Your ACT! Database are Not on the Same Computer
Note: This example assumes that you have Act! installed on all computers, have created your Publisher database, and have created and distributed all Remote databases.
Configuring the Act! Network Sync Service:
- Install the Act! Network Sync Service. For detailed information, please refer to the following Knowledgebase
How do I install and configure the Act! Network Sync Service?
Answer ID: How do I install and configure the Act! Network Sync Service?
- Configure the Act! Network Sync Service by clicking the Windows Start button, pointing to Programs, pointing to
Act! Network Sync Service, and then clicking Act! Network Sync. The
Act! Network Sync Service dialog box appears:
- Click the Add button. The Sync Database dialog box appears:
- Type the computer name where the database is stored into the Database Machine field. Type the name of the database (including the .pad extension) into the Database Name field, and then click OK. The Sync Database dialog box closes:
- Set the Monitor Port setting to 65100.
- Click the Start Sync Service button.
Configuring the Remote Databases:
You will need to know the External IP Address of the computer running the Act! Network Sync Service.
- Launch Act! at the Remote Computer and open your Remote database.
- Click the Tools menu, and then click Synchronization Panel. The Synchronization - Select a Synchronization Task dialog box appears.
- In the User Tasks section click Manage Connections Information. The Synchronization - Sync Server Connection dialog box appears:
- Ensure that the Connection Type field is set to Network (inside a firewall).
- Type the external IP Address in the Enter the Machine Name of the computer hosting the Main Database field, and then ensure that the Enter the Port number being monitored by the sync server is set to 65100.
- Click Finish.
Ensure that the Act! Network Sync Service is running before any synchronizations occur.