There is more than one possible cause for this error. The most common cause is that Share Database option is not enabled. Follow the steps below to share your ACT! Database.
- Launch ACT!.
- Open the database you would like to share.
- Click the Tools menu, point to Database Maintenance, and then click Share Database.
You will now be able to share your database with other ACT! users.
If using version Windows XP ensure that Simple File Sharing is disabled. Use the following steps:
- Right-click your Windows Start button, and then click Explorer from the shortcut menu. Windows Explorer launches
- Click the Tools menu, and then click Folder options. The Folder Options dialog box appears.
- Under the View tab clear the check box for the Use simple file sharing (Recommended) option in the Advanced Setting section.
- Click Apply, and then OK to close. Close Windows Explorer.
This error may result if the Windows user does not have Full Control of the directory that <DatabaseName>.PAD file points to. If the software was installed while logged into Windows as an administrative user and the currently logged in Windows user is not a member of the Administrators Group for the Local Computer, this issue will often occur.
For detailed information on this issue, refer to the Reinstalling for the Windows User section of the following Knowledge Base Answer:
Warning: If the IP Address of the Host computer is subject to change, you will have to edit the .PAD file each time the IP Address changes. Follow the steps below:
- Launch Windows Explorer (or My Computer).
- Navigate to the location of your .PAD file (by default, the .PAD file is located at C:\Documents and Settings\<User_Name>\My Documents\ACT\ACT for Win 7\Databases )
- Right-click the .PAD file in this directory, and then click Open With from the shortcut menu.
- Open the file with Notepad. Notepad launches with the .PAD file information.
- Select the information between the quotes at the host= location, (in most cases this will display .\ACT8 or.\ACT7 as illustrated above)
Note: If the host= displays "."; the original database is not shared. A database Administrator must login to the database you wish to share, click the Tools menu, point to Database Maintenance and then click Share Database. Creating another copy of the .PAD file after the database is correctly shared, will resolve this issue in most cases.
- Type in its place, the IP Address for the computer that stores the actual database files. (as illustrated below)
Hint: To determine the IP address for a computer:
- Click the Windows Start button, and then clickRun. The Run dialog box appears.
- Type command into the Open field, and then click OK. The DOS command prompt appears.
- Enter ipconfig at the command line, and then press your Enter key. The IP address is displayed in the command window.
- Once you have edited the IP Address appropriately, make no other changes to the text, click the File menu, and then click Save.
- Close Notepad, launch ACT! and attempt to login to your database.