Important Note: The Stayrunning option was found to cause issues when starting your computer. This option was abandoned with the 184.108.40.206 update. The Preload option was changed to the default method.
If you are using the 220.127.116.11 version of ACT! it strongly recommended that you refer to the following knowledge Base Answer for the details to change from the Stayrunning to the Preload method:
Title: Error "Unable to enumerate process module" After Updating to 18.104.22.168
Answer ID: Error "Unable to enumerate process module" After Updating to 22.214.171.124
The Preload method loads ACT! into memory at the time Windows starts and then moves ACT! into the memory cache. This method requires no memory. One drawback to this method is that each time you load another program before you launch ACT!, you run the risk of pushing ACT! out of the memory cache. This can slow the ACT! launch because Windows must then reload it from scratch.
How the Preload Method is Configured:
There are two settings required to enable the Preload method. One is an entry in the Act8.exe.config file and the other is a Windows Registry entry in the Run key of the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE hive. Use the following steps to ensure these settings are in place:
- Launch Windows Explorer or open My Computer.
- Browse to the install folder of ACT!. The default location is as follows:
C:\Program Files\ACT\ACT for Windows
- Locate and right-click the Act8.exe.config file, and then click Open with Notepad.
- With the file open in Notepad, click the Edit menu, and then click Find.
- Type pre-load in the Find what field, and then click Find. This will take you to the following line:
<!-- Pre-Loads postion of act for faster startup -->
- This is the comment line for the Preload method. The next line must be configured as follows for the
Preload method to function:
<add key="FastLoadEnabled" value="true"/>
Note: Changing this value to False will disable the ACT! Preload method.
- Close Notepad, and then close Windows Explorer or My computer.
- Click the Windows Start button, and then click Run. The Run dialog box appears.
- Type regedit in the Open field, and then click OK. The Windows Registry Editor launches.
- Browse to the following location:
- You will find an entry in the right pane for Act! Preloader:
- The Data value must include Act8.exe with the option -preload pointing to the installation folder, as illustrated above.
Note: This entry must be removed to disable the Preload method.
You can disable this feature with no harm to ACT! or your database (but will find that ACT! takes longer to launch) through the following steps:
- Change the value of add key="FastLoadEnabled" in the Act8.exe.config file to False.
- Remove the Act! Preloader entry from the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Run
key in the Windows Registry.