How can I manage and merge duplicate records in my Act! database.
Product Family: Act!
Product: Act! Pro, Act! Premium, Act! Premium (access via web)
Version: 2005 and later
Important note: It is recommended that you create a backup of your database before proceeding with the steps below. For information on creating a database backup, refer to the following knowledgebase article:
How to back up and restore an Act! database
Answer ID How to back up and restore an Act! database
You can manage existing duplicates by using the Scan for Duplicates and Copy/Move Contact Data features in Act!. Follow the steps below:
Note: In order to follow these steps in Act! Premium (access via web), you must be using v19 or later.
- In Act!, click Tools > Scan for Duplicates
- In the Scan for Duplicate Contacts dialog, select up to three fields to match on
Note: By default, this is set as Company, Then on Contact, Then on Phone. This means that If Contact A’s Company, Contact, and Phone fields all match that of Contact B, Act! will detect them as matches.
- Click OK to scan
- When duplicates are identified and the prompt appears, click Yes to start combining them
- When the Copy/Move Contact Data screen appears with the Select Contact Records screen, click to highlight the first record, then press and hold your Ctrl key on your keyboard click the second record to select the two contacts you wish to merge
- Click Next
- On the Specify Source and Target Contact Records screen, choose whether you wish to copy contact 1 to contact 2 or vice versa, then click Next
Note: Target: contact 2 will become the permanent record for this contact information
- On the Copy Data from Source to Target Record screen, click the field that contains the data you want to copy to the target record, then click Copy to change the data in the target record to match the source data
- Repeat step 8 for any additional fields you need to copy over to the target, then click Next
- On the Move Additional Items from Source to Target page, choose whether you want to move Notes, Histories, Activities, Opportunities, Secondary Contacts, or Documents, then click Next
- On the Delete the Source Record screen, decide whether to delete or keep the source contact record from the database, then click Next
- When prompted whether you are sure you wish to continue, click Yes
- When the Completing the Copy/Move Contact Data Wizard screen appears, click Finish
- Repeat steps 1-13 for additional duplicate records
Note: You can also use the process above to merge 2 contact records in your existing lookup by clicking Tools > Copy/Move Contact Data…, then following steps 5 – 13 above.
For information on preventing duplicates from manually being created in the database, refer to the following knowledgebase aritcle:
How to set Duplicate Checking preferences in Act!
Answer ID How to set Duplicate Checking preferences in Act!