What is Citrix Server or Terminal Server?
- Microsoft Terminal Server is an optional component of Windows Server editions of the Windows operating system. Terminal Server allows for multiple, remote user logins using the Microsoft Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP)
- Citrix Server, now called Presentation Server, through Metaframe is an add-on that installs over Terminal Server. Citrix provides substantial benefits to the administrator and end-user.
Benefits of Deploying Act! Using Terminal Services and/or Citrix:
Deploying Act! using Terminal Services and/or Citrix has advantages for both users and administrators.
- No need to install, configure, or manage Act! on user computers. All set-up and administration is performed by others.
- In addition to Windows PCs, Act! can be available from a range of computers including Macintosh®, Linux PCs, thin clients, etc.
- Anytime, anywhere access to Act!.
- Central installation and maintenance of the Act! application and database.
- Act! deployed as part of a published desktop or published application (Citrix).
- Act! deployment and administration consistent with other applications.
Deployment Process for Act! Using Terminal Services and/or Citrix:
The administrator installs Act! and related software in this order:
Clicks links to navigate to section
- Install Terminal Services and/or Citrix on the server.
- Install any software that Act! integrates with, such as Microsoft Outlook® and Word.
- Install SQL Server and ACT!.
- Perform Post Installation Tasks:
The minimum system requirements for Act! are all that is required for using Act! in a Citrix environment. The system requirements for different versions of Act! can be found in the knowledgebase article below:
Note: This process will work for both the Pro and Premium versions of Act!.
Act!, Citrix/Terminal Server Installation Guidelines:
- You must be logged in as an Administrator to install Act!.
All installations on a Citrix Server or server using Terminal Server must be performed in Install Mode.
- This is done by running the following from the command prompt: change user /install. You will then receive the message, User session is ready to install applications.
- When you are finished adding or removing programs, return the Citrix or Terminal Server to Execute Mode by typing change user /execute from a command prompt.
- If Citrix is installed some messages indicating a failure during the installation of SQL Server Service Pack 3 may display. If this occurs continue with the installation.
- Any applications Act! will integrate with (Microsoft Word, Outlook) must be installed prior to installing Act!.
- Act! requires 1 GB of disk space for installation. Additional space should be considered to accommodate the growth of the database.
- Act! user accounts on the server will required an additional 30 MB in their profile folder.
- Each concurrent Act! (Act! E-mail closed) user requires 80-95 MB of memory.
- An additional 15-20 MB are required if Act! E-mail is used.
Features not supported: Integration with a fax is supported via normal fax integration on Windows® 2003 (i.e., the fax looks like a printer). Integration with an automatic dialer is not supported.
Installing SQL Server:
The Act! installer guides you through the installation of the components necessary, including ACT7 instance for SQL Server and creation of the Act! database. You install the software only on the machine that will host the database.
- Insert CD2 and then double-click the Setup.exe file. The Act! installer guides you though the installation of SQL Server and the creation of the ACT7 Database Instance.
When installation of CD2 is finished restart the server before installing Act! from CD1.
Note: You can also manually install and configure the ACT7 SQL Server instance if Microsoft SQL Server is already installed on the computer that will host the database. For more information on this, please refer to the following knowledgebase article:
After SQL Server is installed and the server has been restarted, Act! can be installed.
- Log on to the server as an Administrator.
- Place the server in Install Mode.
- Insert the Act! media to launch the installer.
On the Act! installer screen, click Install Act! and follow the Installation Wizard.. Please refer to the following knowledgebase article for more information on installing Act!:
How do I install Act!?
- Near the end of the installation is an option to launch Act!. Because the server is in install mode, do not select this option.
- After installation is complete, place the server back into Execute Mode.
The Administrator must login to Act! and Register and Activate the software. Use the following steps:
- Log into the server with Act! installed that will house the database, as an administrator.
- Place the server in Install Mode.
- Launch Act!.
- At prompt to check for updates, click Yes. Follow any instructions that appear.
- When the Registration and Activation Wizard appears, follow instructions that appear as appropriate. For detailed information, please refer to the following Knowledge Base Answer:
When completed the Getting Started Wizard Appears. For detailed information, please refer to the following Knowledge Base Answer:
- Skip E-mail Setup and click Next Assumes this administrator is not a regular user of Act!).
- If database has not been created yet, click Create new database, and then click Next. Select a database name. Change the location to the shared folder the database file will reside in. By default, Act! will suggest a location within the profile of the user that creates the database. This location should be overridden in the Terminal Server environment. In a single terminal server environment, a new sub-folder in the install folder may be appropriate, or another location may be chosen due to scheduled backup considerations. If multiple, load balanced, terminal servers are in use there should be a single machine responsible for hosting the actual database files and it should be made available via a mounted share. Each user requires access to the database file.
- Check the Share this database with other users checkbox. Enter a user name and password (NOTE: this is a user name and password for this administrator to open the Act! database. This name/password will have full administrator rights to the database), and then click Next.
- Act! will launch. A dialog box may appear asking if you want to import Outlook contacts, even if e-mail was not set up and Outlook is not installed. Click No. (Assumes administrator does not normally use Act! from this account).
- If user teams are used, Click the Tools menu, an then click Manage Teams. Create a Team for each Act! Team. For detailed information, please refer to the following Knowledgebase Answer:
- Create a New User for each Act! user licensed. Click the Tools menu, an then click Manage User. For detailed information, please refer to the following Knowledgebase Answer:
- Continue with any other site/tenant specific customizations.
- Exit Act!.
- On additional servers, follow the same steps, except in step 3 you will skip database creation and then open the shared database mounted from another server via the “PAD” file.
For integration with Word Processor and E-mail, the administrator will need to log in as each user to perform per-user customizations (or supply information to users and ask them to perform these steps). E-mail integration depends upon which email integration is used. Setting up e-mail integration can be done either by using the Setup Assistant or through Preferences (Tools > Preferences > Email Tab > Email System Setup).
Knowledgebase articles related to Act! deployment on Citrix or Terminal Services:
To find addition information on deploying Act! on Citrix or Terminal Services environments, please refer to the following Knowledgebase Answers:
Using ACT! by Sage with Windows Server® 2008 and Remote Desktop Services (formerly known as “Terminal Services”)