The service that you choose must be compatible with your computer modem. This would require them to be *TAPI compliant. One simple test is to connect your modem to the service, and then try the Windows® Phone Dialer program. Use the following steps to test::
- Click the Windows Start button, and then click Run. The Run dialog box appears.
- Type dialer in the Open field, and then click OK. The Windows Phone Dialer launches.
- Click the Phone menu, and then click Dial. The Dial dialog box appears.
- Type the test phone number in the Connect to field, and ensure that the Phone call option is enabled.
- Click the Place Call button. If your modem dials and connects to the test number you will be able to use ACT! with this phone service. If it does not connect you will not be able to use the ACT! Dialer.
*TAPI (Telephony Application Programming Interface) A application program interface that allow you to connect your computer to a phone service. TAPI defines standards for simple call control and for manipulating call content.