The process described below only pertains to machines using a 64-bit Microsoft Windows operating system running Internet Information Services (IIS) 6.0 or 7.0.
When installing to a 64-bit operating system, the ACT! Internet Sync Service and ACT! Premium for Web require their respective application pools to be configured to 32-bit mode. This process is handled differently in IIS 6.0 and IIS 7.0:
- IIS 6.0: When configuring the application pools used by the web applications to 32-bit mode, this will set all application pools on the machine to 32-bit mode. If there are web applications that require 64-bit application pools, these applications will stop working.
- IIS 7.0: In IIS 7.0, you can configure each individual application pool to 32-bit mode, so that changing one pool to 32-bit mode will not affect the web applications that require a 64-bit application pool.
Answer ID: How to back up your configuration settings for Internet Information Services (IIS)
To install the Internet Sync Service for ACT! by Sage Premium 2009 (11.0) or ACT! by Sage Premium for Web 2009 (11.0) on a 64-bit version of Microsoft Windows, IIS must be configured to run application pools in 32-bit mode. You will receive a prompt to let the installer automatically perform the switch to 32-bit mode, but if Windows is ever re-configured to 64-bit mode and needs to be manually switched to 32-bit mode again, you will need to perform the following steps:
Note: The following information is provided as a convenience. Sage does not provide support for Microsoft products. For more information on this topic, please visit Microsoft.com.
- Click Start, and then click Run.
- In the Open box, type cmd, and then click OK.
- In the command prompt window, navigate to the %drive%:\Inetpub\Adminscripts folder, where %drive% is the drive in which Windows is installed (i.e., the C drive).
- In the Adminscripts folder, type the following command:
cscript adsutil.vbs set w3svc/AppPools/Enable32bitAppOnWin64 1
Note: The value of "1" for Enable32bitAppOnWin64 specifies 32-bit mode, whereas the value of "0" specifies 64-bit mode.
- Press ENTER.
- Type iisreset and then press ENTER.
- After IIS stops and then restarts, close the Command Prompt window.
Please follow the steps below to configure the ACT! application pool for 32-bit mode:
Determining the Application Pool
- From the Windows Start menu, select Control Panel and go to Administrative Tools (may be located in System and Security) and select Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager
- In the IIS management screen, expand the server name node in the Connections pane, then under that expand Web Sites
- Under Web Sites right-click on the ACT! Internet Sync or ACT for Web virtual directory, and select Advanced Settings
- Under Behavior, you will see the name of the application pool being used by this virtual directory.
Configuring the Application Pool for 32-bit Mode
- From the Windows Start menu, go to Administrative Tools and select Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager
- On the Connections pane, expand the server name node and click Application Pools.
- In the Application Pools dialog box, right click on the application pool you determined was being for ACT! and select Advanced Settings.
- In the Advanced Settings dialog box, under General, change the value of Enable 32-bit Applications to "True".
- Click OK to finish.