This issue has been resolved in Sage ACT! 2011.
Steps to Reproduce
- Assign a database password to an ACT! user.
- Open Excel and setup a new data source to connect to that database with that user's login and password.
- In Excel, select Data > Import External Data >Import Data.
- Select Connect to a new data source > Other/advanced.
- Select ACT! OLE DB Provider for Reporting 2.0.
- Select Database.
- Test connection... should be successful.
- Attempt to add a Contact table to the spreadsheet.
Actual Result: Error: "Initialization of the data source failed. Check the database server or contact your database administrator. Make sure the external database is available, and then try the operation again. If you see this message again, create a new data source to connect to the database."
Expected Results: Table can be added to the spreadsheet without error.
Workaround: Remove the password for the ACT! user and it works without error.