I am attempting to install Act! when I receive the Error: “Act! has detected an incompatible version of Microsoft SQL Server 2008 ACT7 instance. Please uninstall the instance and restart this installation."
Product Family: Act!
Product: Act! Pro, Act! Premium
Version: 2011 and later
Third Party: Microsoft SQL Server
This can occur if an installation folder called PreReq, which is installed at the beginning of the installation process and is necessary for the rest of the installation, is not properly created. Additionally, this can happen if there is an existing incompatible or damaged installation of the Microsoft SQL Server (ACT7) instance.
Renaming the PreReq folder
The PreReq folder is used to run a check to verify whether the SQL Server (ACT7) instance is currently installed or whether it needs to be installed. Renaming this folder will allow the Act! installation to proceed without checking to see if the instance is installed, however additional steps may be necessary in order to open a database once the Act! installation has completed.
Proceed with the steps below to rename the PreReq folder:
- Browse to the Act! installation folder. By default, this will be C:\Act!_Pro_(Version) or Act!_Premium_(Version) (may vary depending on version)
- Open the Dependencies folder
- Locate the PreReq folder and rename it to “PreReqOLD”
- Test running the installation again by double-clicking the setup.exe file in the main installation directory
- Once the installation has completed, test opening your database
Configuring the SQL Server (ACT7) instance
Important Note: If you are using Act! v17.1 or later, read the following article before proceeding with this section:
Frequently Asked Questions about using Act! v17.1 and later with Microsoft SQL Server 2014
Answer ID Frequently Asked Questions about using Act! v17.1 and later with Microsoft SQL Server 2014
If, once the installation has completed, you are unable to open the database and you are installing Act! on a machine which is intended to be used as a database server, is intended to house a remote copy of the database for database synchronization, or if you intend to use Internet Mail (as opposed to Microsoft Outlook), it will be necessary to uninstall any existing SQL Server (ACT7) instance and manually recreate it.
- If present, uninstall the existing Microsoft SQL Server (ACT7) instance. For more information, refer to the following knowledgebase article:
How to uninstall the Microsoft SQL Server (ACT7) instance
Answer ID How to uninstall the Microsoft SQL Server (ACT7) instance
- Reboot the computer
- Manually install the Microsoft SQL Server (ACT7) instance by following the instructions in one of the knowledgebase articles below, depending on your version of Act!:
Act! versions 2011 and later:
How to Manually Create the Microsoft® SQL Server® 2008 R2 (Express Edition) ACT7 Instance
Answer ID How to Manually Create the Microsoft® SQL Server® 2008 R2 (Express Edition) ACT7 Instance
Act! v17.1 and later:
How to manually create the Microsoft SQL Server 2014 ACT7 Instance
Answer ID How to manually create the Microsoft SQL Server 2014 ACT7 Instance
- Attempt to access your database