- To synchronize successfully, you and your sync partners must be using the same edition and version of ACT!. You can verify your installed edition and version number by clicking About ACT! from the Help menu.
- Network Synchronization is only available with the Premium for Workgroups edition of ACT! software.
- ACT! uses a Publisher - Subscriber relationship. The Subscriber (or Remote) database will initiate all synchronization. Remote databases can only be created from the Parent database. Remote database can only synchronize with their Parent database.
- ACT! Network Sync Service is NOT installed on the Subscriber (Remote) computer.
You must install the ACT! Network Synchronization Service in order to synchronize with another database. Use the following steps:
- Exit any running programs and disable any anti-virus and firewall software running on your computer.
- Insert the installation CD 1 into the CD-ROM drive. The installation main
menu appears. If not click the Windows Start button, and then click
Run dialog box appears. Type d:\setup ( if your CD Rom is d or the
appropriate drive letter) in the Open field, and then click OK.
- Click the ACT! Synchronization Services option. The ACT!
Synchronization Services menu appears.
- Click the ACT! Network Synchronization Service option.
- The InstallShield Wizard - Preparing to Install window
briefly appears. The following Question message box appears.
- Click Yes. The InstallShield Sync Service -
InstallShield Wizard - Welcome dialog box appears.
- Click Next.
The InstallShield Sync Service - InstallShield Wizard - Customer Information dialog box appears.
- Type your User Name and Company Name in the appropriate
fields. Enable the appropriate
Install this application for option, and then click Next. The
InstallShield Sync Service - InstallShield Wizard - Choose Destination Location dialog box appears.
- The default location is InstallShield Sync Service -
InstallShield Wizard - (recommended). You may install to a different folder by clicking the Browse button to change this destination. Click Next. The
InstallShield Sync Service - InstallShield Wizard - Select Program Folder
dialog box appears.
- Click Next to accept the default Program Folder that will contain ACT! Network Sync Service. The
InstallShield Wizard - Start Copying Files dialog box appears.
- Review your installation setting, and then either click Back to make any needed changes, or Next to start copying files to you computer. The Setup Status dialog box appears.
Note: You may briefly see a DOS window during this phase.
- When all files are finished copying, the InstallShield Wizard - Completing the ACT! Network Sync Setup
dialog box appears.
- Enable the Launch ACT! Network Sync option, and then click Finish to start the Sync Service (or click Finish to complete the install and not start the Sync Service). You will need to start the Sync Service before being able to synchronize your database. For detailed information on how to start the Sync Service, please refer to the Configuring and Starting the ACT! Network Sync Service section below.
- Exit the ACT! Installation menu.
Configuring and Starting the ACT! Network Sync Service:
Once you have installed the ACT! Network Sync Service you will need to configure and start the service. Follow the steps below to configure and start the ACT! Network Sync Service:
- Click the Windows Start button, point to Programs, point to ACT! Network Sync Service, and then click ACT! Network Sync
or double-click the
icon in the Windows System Tray. The ACT! Network Sync Service dialog
- Click Add. The following Open dialog box appears.
- Browse (if necessary) to the .pad file for the database you wish to
synchronize with your remote users, and then click Open. The ACT! Network Sync Service
dialog box reappears with your Computer name\database name displayed.
- Click Add and repeat step 3 if you wish to monitor more databases.
- Click Start Sync Service. The following ACT! message box appears.
- Click OK. This button will change to read Stop Sync Service and you will have a new icon in your system tray , (located near the system clock in the lower-right corner of your screen). The Sync Service is now running and will continue to run until you stop it. If you restart your computer while the Sync Service is running, it will restart automatically.
- To stop the ACT! Network Sync Service, click Stop Service from the shortcut menu. The following ACT! message box
- Click Ok. The message box disappears and the Sync Service icon changes to the following:
- To close the ACT! Network Sync Service dialog box, click Exit. The dialog box will close, but the icon for the sync service will remain in your system tray. To bring the dialog box back, right-click on the sync service icon in the system tray and select Show/Hide.
For more information on managing the ACT! Network Sync Service, please refer to the following Knowledge Base Answer: Title: How To Manage ACT! Network Sync Service
Answer ID: How to manage the Act! Network Sync Service