Question: How do I add an SMS step in Act! Marketing Automation?
- Product Family: E-marketing
- Product: Act! Marketing Automation
In addition to being able to send out email campaigns from Act! Marketing Automation, you also have the ability to send out SMS messages through the platform. Your whole campaign could be based around these messages, or it could form part of any campaign you create.
NOTE: Once you purchase the SMS add-on, you will be able to specify the numbers used when sending SMS messages. Speak to your account manager if you have any questions about this.
The steps below will advise how to create a new campaign in AMA, with the focus on creating SMS steps. Remember though that these steps can be added to any other campaigns you create as well.
- Navigate to Marketing Automation and select the Campaigns menu item.
- Click Actions > New Campaign.
- Select Blank Campaign under the All Template tab, then click Continue.
- Give your campaign a name and add it to the proper folder, if applicable. Once this setup page is complete, click Continue.
- Continue setting up your campaign as you normally would any other marketing campaign. Once through the setup steps, click Create.
- Once in the campaign flow, click the email step.
- In the popup, change the dropdown to Change Action Type, then from the next dropdown that will appear, select SMS then click Go.
- You are now taken directly to your SMS message editor. First, select the from SMS number that you would like your SMS campaign to come from. The numbers you can select from the dropdown are numbers that have been set up in your SMS number bank.
- Next, add the message you would like to use when you send out the campaign. Here you will notice that we have already provided the instructions for any recipients to opt out of SMS messages. All you have to do is enter the message into the editor above the opt out message.
- Once you are done setting up this SMS step, click Actions > Save and Return.
Now that your SMS step is setup, you can activate the campaign. It is important to note, we can only send an SMS message to your contacts if they have the mobilePhone field populated in their CRM contact card. So before activating this campaign, it is good practice to confirm that the contacts in the group you are sending to have this field populated.
To activate your campaign:
- Click the Actions dropdown and select Activate.
- On the activation checklist page, review all the information and once done, click the Activate Campaign button.
If anyone in your group unsubscribes from your SMS messages by replying STOP to the number you used as a from number, they will automatically be added to your SMS suppression list. This will prevent that contact from receiving any further SMS messages sent through Act! Marketing Automation.
NOTE: Any other reply to your messages will not result in any action being taken unless you include a Decision step. See the subheading below for more information.
Additionally, just like marketing campaign results are pushed to Act! CRM, so are SMS message results! If a contact receives, opens, bounces, or opts out, these statuses will be pushed to your Act! CRM database to the History table along with email marketing results.
Adding a Decision Step:
It is also possible to request specific replies to your SMS steps. For example, you might include in your message something like "If you wish to receive a call from us to discuss, reply with CALL". To do this, you will need to add a Decision step to your campaign immediately after the SMS Message step.
NOTE: Decision steps are available as part of the Marketing Automation add-on for Standard and Expert customers.
If you wish to add an SMS related Decision step to your campaign, follow the instructions below.
- Whilst editing your campaign, click on your SMS Message step and select Edit SMS Properties. Click Go.
- Amend your message to include your call to action (so you must tell the recipient what word they should reply with as per the example above). Once completed, use the Actions menu to Save and Return.
- Once again click on your SMS Message step.
- In the dropdown choose to Insert action after then choose Decision from the next dropdown. Click Go.
- In the following screen, choose a condition type of SMS Response from the dropdown, then select your SMS Message Step in the next dropdown (if your campaign includes several different SMS messages you will be able to choose the appropriate message here).
- In the Response field, add the exact reply you have asked for in your SMS message step (so in the below screenshot we have asked for the contact to reply with CALL).
- Click Save once the response has been entered.
- You can now go to your Actions menu and click Save and Return.
With the Decision step added, you can now determine what you wish to happen if the contact does reply with that specific response (the Yes branch from the Decision step), or what happens if they do not send that reply (the No branch of that Decision step).
For more information on Decision steps and how to use the yes and No branches, please see the following article: