Question: How do I create and send an SMS campaign in Act! Marketing Automation?
- Product Family: E-marketing
- Product: Act! Marketing Automation
In addition to being able to send out email campaigns from Act! Marketing Automation, you also have the ability to send out SMS campaigns through the platform.
Before creating any SMS campaigns, you first want to add your from numbers using the SMS bank. This article reviews adding numbers to your bank, which will be used as your from number when sending out the campaign.
Once you have your SMS bank populated with the numbers you need, you are ready to build out your campaign.
- Navigate to Marketing Automation and select the Campaigns menu item.
- Click Actions > New Campaign.
- Select Blank Campaign under the All Template tab, then click Continue.
- Give your campaign a name and add it to the proper folder, if applicable. Once this setup page is complete, click Continue.
- Continue setting up your campaign as you normally would any other marketing campaign. Once through the setup steps, click Create.
- Once in the campaign flow, click the email step.
- In the popup, change the dropdown to Change Action Type, then from the next dropdown that will appear, select SMS then click Go.
- You are now taken directly to your SMS message editor. First, select the from SMS number that you would like your SMS campaign to come from. The numbers you can select from the dropdown are numbers that have been set up in your SMS number bank.
- Next, add the message you would like to use when you send out the campaign. Here you will notice that we have already provided the instructions for any recipients to opt out of SMS messages. All you have to do is enter the message into the editor above the opt out message.
- Once you are done setting up this SMS step, click Actions > Save and Return.
Now that your SMS step is setup, you can activate the campaign. It is important to note, we can only send an SMS message to your contacts if they have the mobilePhone field populated in their CRM contact card. So before activating this campaign, it is good practice to confirm that the contacts in the group you are sending to have this field populated.
To activate your campaign:
- Click the Actions dropdown and select Activate.
- On the activation checklist page, review all the information and once done, click the Activate Campaign button.
If anyone in your group unsubscribes from your SMS messages by replying STOP to the number you used as a from number, they will automatically be added to your SMS suppression list. This will prevent that contact from receiving any further SMS messages sent through Act! Marketing Automation.
Additionally, just like marketing campaign results are pushed to Act! CRM, so are SMS message results! If a contact receives, opens, bounces, or opts out, these statuses will be pushed to your Act! CRM database to the History table along with email marketing results.