Symptom: Loading the API causes desktop Act! to Open Slowly
Product Family: Act!
Version: v19 and above
Installed versions of Act! only
Cause: There are numerous possibilities as to why the API might load slowly. Please work through the suggestions below.
Check the API version is at least 1.1.365
To do this, open a web browser and go to: http://localhost/act.web.api/api/system
You will see information similar to the following:
At the top the API version is listed. This must be 1.1.365 or above.
If the version is below this, you will need to update the API.
Update the API
If you find you are working with an older version of the API, you can upgrade this to the latest version.
To do so, click here to download the API updater file. Once downloaded, run the file and it will update your API to the latest version.
Amend the Act!.exe.config File on the Computer Hosting the Database
- Close Act!.
- Browse to C:\Program Files (x86)\ACT\Act for Windows
- Right click the Act!.exe.config file and open it in Notepad.
- Press CTRL + F on your keyboard and find WebAPIBase URL.
- Ensure this line is set to <add key="WebAPIBaseURL" value="http://localhost/act.web.api/" /> as per the screenshot below.
- Save the file.
- Reopen Act! and test.
Ensure the User Accessing Act! has API Permissions
- Log into Act! as an administrator.
- Go to the Tools menu and click Manage Users.
- Double-click the user who is trying to log into Act!.
- Click Next twice. You will see the Add Permissions screen.
- Ensure that the Web API Access permission has been given to the user.
Check the API Configuration
Review the following article on setting up the API.