You would like to create a lookup of Contact records that contain Secondary Contacts in your ACT! database.
Family: Sage ACT!
Products: ACT! by Sage, ACT! by Sage Premium for Workgroups, Sage ACT! Pro, Sage ACT! Premium
Secondary Contacts are “other contacts”, usually within the same company. They can be a backup for the main contact or the main contact's assistant, team members, supervisor, etc. You can promote a secondary contact to a full contact, but once promoted, there will no longer be a connection to the main contact.
There is more than one method for creating a lookup of Secondary Contacts. Follow the procedures below:
Using the Other Fields Lookup:
To use an Other Fields lookup to find all of the Secondary Contacts in your database, follow the steps below:
- Click the Lookup menu, and then click Other Fields. The Lookup Contacts dialog appears.
ACT! by Sage 2005-2008
Sage ACT! 2009 & Higher
- Click the Look in this Field drop-down arrow (Field in ACT! 2009), and then click Secondary Contact.
- In the Search for section, enable the Non-empty field option.
In ACT! 2009, you will instead select Contains Data from the dropdown next to the Field dropdown and the Search For field should have Contacts selected.
- Ensure that Replace Lookup is displayed in the For the current lookup section, clear the Include Private and/or Include Users options (if desired), and then click OK. The Contact List view appears with your Secondary Contact Lookup displayed.
Using an Advanced Query:
To use an advanced query to lookup all secondary contacts in your database, follow the steps below:
- Click the Lookup menu, point to Advanced, and then click Advanced Query. The Advanced Query dialog appears.
- Ensure that the Type field displays Contact. Click the drop-down arrow for Field Name, and then click Secondary Contact.
- Click the drop-down arrow for Operator, and then click Contains Data. The Value field becomes inactive.
- Click Add to list. The information is summarized in the main window of the Advanced Query dialog.
- Click the File menu, and then click Save As. A Save As dialog appears.
- Type in a File name, take note of (or change) the save in location, and then click Save. The Advanced Query dialog reappears.
- Do NOT click the Preview option at this time.
- Click OK. The ACT! - Run Query Options dialog appears.
- Ensure that Replace Lookup is enabled, and then click OK. The Contact List view appears with your Secondary Contact Lookup displayed.
How To Create a Group of Secondary Contacts:
Follow the instructions below to create a group of the Secondary Contacts in your database.
- Click the View menu, and then click Groups. the Group Detail view appears.
- Click the Groups menu, and then click New Group. A blank group layout appears.
- Type a name for this group into the Group field.
- Click the Group menu, point to Group Membership, and then click Add/Remove Contacts. The Add/Remove Contacts dialog appears.
- Click the Edit Criteria button. The Group Criteria dialog appears.
- Ensure that the Type field, displays Contact.
- Click the drop-down arrow for Field Name, and then click Secondary Contact.
- Click the drop-down arrow for Operator, and then click Contains Data.
- Click the Add to list button. The group criteria displays in the main window of this dialog.
- Do NOT click the Preview button at this time.
- Click OK to close the Group Criteria dialog. The Add/Remove Contacts dialog reappears with your group criteria Definition displayed.
- Click OK the Add/Remove Contacts dialog will close and all Secondary Contacts will be added to your group.