ACT! counts contact records based upon unique data in the Contact field. If adding data to the Contact field for each record is not practical, the field that ACT! uses for this count can be changed.
In order for the Total Number of Contacts to be correct, you must ensure that the Contact field in all included records contains unique data --or-- configure ACT! to target a different field (such as Company).
Blank or Duplicated data Contact Fields
One solution to this issue is to ensure that all records contain unique data in the contact field. Follow the steps below to ensure that each Contact record contains unique data in the Contact field:
If you find that this issue is the result of blank records in the database; you are advised to delete these records.
Follow the steps below to identify all records with no data in the Contact field.
- Click the Lookup menu, and then click Contact. The Lookup Contacts dialog box appears.
- Ensure that the Replace Lookup option is displayed in the For the current lookup field, and the Empty Field option is enabled in the Search for section.
- Click OK. The lookup will display all records with no data in the Contact field. If more than one record was found, the Contact List view will open. Double-click the first record in the list to view that record, enter data into the Contact field, and then scroll to each additional record, to enter Contact data.
Note: This issue may be the result of blank records in the database. The empty field lookup will also identify these records which can be deleted by clicking Delete Contact from the Contacts menu.
Use the following steps to change the field that your report uses to count the number of entries.
Note: In our example we will use the Contact Directory report.
- Click the Reports menu, and then click Edit Template. The Report Designer launches to the Open ACT! Report dialog box.
- Click the desired report, and then click Open. The Report Designer opens with the report ready for editing.
- Click the hidden field that is used to count the entries, and then click Delete from the Edit menu. In our example this field is named contactName1 and is located in the Report Header section (highlighted in yellow in the graphic above).
- Click the Field tool from the Toolbox.
- Click and drag a new field into the same area of the Report Header section. When you release the mouse button the Select Field dialog box appears.
- Clear the Include a label option.
- Click Company from the Field box, click Add, and then click Close.
- Right-click the new C:Company field, and then click Properties from the shortcut menu. The Field Properties dialog box appears.
- Under the Data tab, ensure that the Summary option is enabled in the Field Type section, and the Count option is enabled in the Summary Field Options section (as illustrated above).
- Click Apply, and then click OK to close the Field Properties dialog box.
- If the Properties window is not displayed on the right side of the Report Designer. Click the View menu, and then click Properties Window or press F4 on your keyboard. The Properties Window appears on the right side of the Report Designer.
- In the Appearance section, change the Visible value to False.
- In the Layout section, change the Height value to 0.01.
- In the Misc section, change the Name value to CompanyCount1.
- Click the ContactName1 field in the Page Header section, and then click Delete from the Edit menu.
- Click the System Field tool from the Toolbox.
- Click and drag a box in the same area of the Report Header section. When you release the mouse button the Select System Field dialog box appears.
- Clear the Include a label
option, click Custom
from the Available Fields
box, click Add, and then click
- Change the Expression value to CompanyCount1.
- When you are finished modifying the template, click the File menu (in the Report Designer), and then click Save As. A Save As dialog box appears.
- Ensure that the Save As Type field lists ACT! report Files (*.rep). Type in a unique File Name, ensure the Save In field displays the Reports directory (or your custom directory), and then click Save. A progress indicator appears as your custom report is saved.
- Your custom report will now appear in the ACT! Reports directory.
- To preview this report, click the File menu, and then click Print Preview. The Print Preview window appears.
Note: You will need to activate the Zoom In Tool Hold this cursor over the Print Preview and then click the left mouse button to enlarge the preview. You may need to repeat these steps several times for a clear preview.