How do I manage remote databases in Act!?
Product Family: Act!
Product: Act! Pro, Act! Premium
To manage Remote databases, you must first access the Synchronization - Select a Synchronization Task dialog box.
Note: The Publisher (or Parent) database refers to what has been known as a Master database in previous versions of Act!. Versions 2005 and later use a Parent - Remote relationship. The Remote (Subscriber) database will initiate all synchronization. Remote databases can only be created from the Parent database and the Parent database must create a Remote database for each different remote user. A Remote database can only synchronize with the Parent database that was used to create it.
- Open the Publisher database.
- Click the Tools menu, and then click Synchronization Panel.
- Click Manage Database from the User Tasks box.
The Manage Database options in the Select a Database dialog box are divided into two sections. Admin Tasks and User Tasks. Refer to the appropriate section below for the tasks you wish to learn more about:
Note: It is recommended that Database Maintenance be performed on your Remote database at regular intervals. Particularly prior to performing operations such as the Recreate Database or Disable Sync functions. Follow the steps in the article below:
ACT! Database Rebuild and Repair Procedures
Answer ID Act! database rebuild and repair procedures
This option allows you to recreate a Remote database. You would use this option if a user's Remote database has become corrupt. Use the following step to Recreate a Remote database:
- Click the Remote database from the right pane that you wish to recreate, and then click Recreate Database from the Admin Tasks box
- Click Yes
- Ensure that the Database Location is correct, and enable the Password Protect option (if desired). Click OK
- When the process completes, an Act! message informing you that the Remote database was recreated successfully appears. Click OK. The database has been recreated.
Before you can Delete a database or disable Synchronization from the Parent database you must Disable Sync for the Remote database. Use the following steps to Disable Sync for a Remote database:
- Click the Remote database from the right pane that you wish to disable sync for, and then click Disable Sync from the Admin Tasks box.
- Click Yes. The following Act! information dialog box appears:
- Click Yes to allow one last synchronization before disabling, or No to disable now.
Caution: There is no Warning or Confirmation message when deleting a Remote database.
Before you can delete a database, ensure that synchronization has been disabled. Use the following step to delete a Remote database:
Click the Remote database from the right pane that you wish to delete, and then click Delete Database from the Admin Tasks box. The Remote database is deleted.
This option allows you to review the Remote database settings. Follow the instructions below to view the settings:
Click the Remote database from the right pane that you wish to view settings for, and then click View Settings from the User Tasks box. The Synchronization - Sync Settings dialog box appears:
- Database Name: Name of the Remote database.
- Database Machine: Name of the SQL instance.
- Main Database: Database the Remote was created from.
- Sync Set: Name of the Sync Set assigned to this Remote database.
- Sync Server Port: Port Number assigned to this Remote database to connect with Parent database.
- Expiration Period in Days: Number of days allowed between synchronization before expiration occurs.
- Database Status: Status of Remote database.
- Created By: User that created the Remote database.
- Created On: Date the Remote database was created.
You may view a Print Preview of this information or simply Print the information.
View Database Options
This view displays the database synchronization options. Follow the instructions below:
Click the Remote database from the right pane that you wish to view synchronization options for, and then click View Database Options from the User Tasks box.
The following options are only viewable in this window. You cannot make any changes.
- Allow database supplemental files to synchronize
- Allow attachments to synchronize
- Set the number of days that synchronization expires