Product Family: Act!
Product: Act! Pro, Act! Premium
Version: 2005 and later
Third Party: Microsoft Excel
Mapping Act! data to an attached Excel file allows you to quickly transfer data from Contact, Company, Group, or Opportunity fields to an attached Excel spreadsheet. Before you can use the Map to Excel feature, your Excel file must be attached to the record you wish to map fields for. This cannot be a shortcut to the file. For information regarding attaching files to a record, refer to the following knowledgebase article:
How to attach a document to a Contact, Group, Company, or Opportunity in Act!
In addition to attaching the file to the record, your Excel file must include fields that have been mapped to your Act! Contact, Company, or Group. Once you have the file attached, you can Map fields by following the steps below:
- Navigate to the record you wish to map to Excel, then go to the Documents tab
- Locate the Excel file you wish to map, then double-click it to open
- Under Add-ins, click the Act! menu, then click one of the following, depending on the record type that the Excel file is attached to:
- Map to Contact
- Map to Company
- Map to Group
- Map to Opportunity
- In the Excel file, select the cell you wish to map data to
- In the “Map [record type] Fields” window, select the field you wish to map data from, then click Add
Note: This will not create a header/label for the data that is mapped, it will only put the information located in the Act! database field in the cell. For example, if you have a field called “Due Date” that you want to map, and you want to have a header/label for it, you’ll want to manually create one for it, then place the mapped field below or next to that header/label.
- Repeat steps 4 and 5 until you have all the fields you need
- Click close on the Fields list window
- Save and close the Excel file
Once the fields have been mapped, you can go to the Documents tab for that record, then click Map to Excel to open a version of the Excel file that has data from the fields you added.