This error can result if there is a missing or invalid path in the Windows registry. These registry entries need to be fixed in order for the installation to complete successfully. There is more than one possible solution for this error. Please try the solutions below one at a time in the order listed:
You may be able to resolve this issue by simply rebooting your computer, then re-attempting the Act! installation.
Important: The next two options involve editing items in your Windows® Registry. Before editing your registry, it is strongly advised that you first make a backup of the registry information. For instructions on how to backup your Windows registry, please see the following Knowledgebase article:
Answer ID: How to back up the Windows Registry
This issue may also be caused by an invalid registry key. Follow the steps below to remove this key:
- Click your Windows Start button, then either click Run or go to the Search box on the Start menu, and type regedit. The registry editor will open.
- Back up your Windows registry.
- On the left, locate the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE key and click the + sign to expand it. Drill down to the following key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager.
- In the right-hand pane, right-click on the PendingFileRenameOperations key and select Delete.
- Close the Windows registry and attempt the installation process again.