You can redirect the location of your Web User Preferences folders from the default location in order to centralize the Preferences. This can be helpful if you are using distributing Web requests across multiple Web Servers. This will prevent each server from having a unique set of Preferences that would need to be maintained.
You must modify the ACT! Premium for Web Web.config file and then copy this file to each Web server in the cluster. Use the following process:
Note: If you have been using the default location for Web Users Preferences, you can redirect the location without any interruption for your users. Please refer to the Moving Existing Preferences Location section later in this Answer.
- Locate and right-click the Web.config file. This file is in the ACT! Premium for Web installation folder, normally this is: C:\Program Files\ACT\ACT for Web\APFW, and then click Edit from the shortcut menu. Microsoft® Notepad launches with your file ready for editing.
- Click the Edit menu, and then click Find. The Find dialog box appears.
- Type preferencesshared in the Find what field, and then click Find Next.
This will take you to the following line:
<add key="preferencessharedNetworkFolder" value=''/>
- Add the UNC path to the location where you would like the Web Users Preferences to be stored between the quotes.
Note: There is no need to create the folder as ACT! Premium for Web will do that the first time a user logs in.
- Click the File menu, and then click Save. Do NOT rename this file.
- Close Notepad.
- You will need to repeat this process for each Web server in the cluster or copy the modified file to each. You are now ready for your users to start logging in.
Moving Existing Preferences Location:
You have been using the default location for Web Users Preferences and you would like to redirect them to a shared location. Use the following process:
- After you have made the changes to the Web.config file defining the new location and distributed the file to all Web servers in the cluster; log on as a Web User to create the new folder structure.
- Launch Windows Explorer (or open My Computer).
- Browse to the location of the new folder. In our example: C:\ACT Web Users Shared Preferences
- Delete any files and folders under the Server_Name.
- Browse to the default location:
C:\Windows\System32\inetsrv\ACT\ACT for Web\Preferences\UserPreferences\<server_name\
C:\Documents and Setting\<user_name>\Application Data\ACT\ACT for Web\Preferences\UserPreferences\<server_name\
Select and Copy all files and folders under the Server_Name folder.
- Browse back to the new location, click the Server_Name folder, click the Edit menu and click Paste.
- Close Windows Explorer (or My Computer).