The ACT! Dashboard is flexible and customizable, allowing you to customize individual components or create new ones, to best suit how you and your business work. With the ability to apply filters to all default Dashboard components, you have the flexibility to view activity and opportunity information based on what’s most relevant to your day. In addition to customizing the six existing components, managers or administrators have the ability to add or remove components, change titles or legends, and utilize drag and drop functionality with the Dashboard Designer for easy customization of any default Dashboard or creation of new Dashboard components .
Use the steps below to customize an existing Dashboard layout.
NOTE: Only Administrator and Manager user roles have the permission to create/edit dashboard layouts. The Edit... button is not available for other user roles.
NOTE: In ACT! Premium for Web, customizations must be performed on the Web server.
To Customize an Existing Dashboard:
- Change to the Dashboard view
- In the upper right corner of the layout, click the Edit... button to open the Dashboard Designer
- The Dashboard Designer appears with a pre-populated grid of components.
- Double click an existing component to launch the Component Task Wizard.
- Select a task from the "Component tasks" list to specify customizations for the component.
- Display types: pie chart, bar chart, gauge, and list
- Filters: current day, week, month, etc.
- Custom headers/footers
- Chart legend position: left, right, top, bottom
- Optional display of totals (total number of calls for example)
- Optional display of target (goal for team members/individuals; 25 calls/day for example)
- Scaling for numeric values (hundreds, thousands, etc.)
- Click the Finish button when complete.
- Double click the additional components and repeat Step 5(above) to configure components until layout is complete.
- Click the File menu and then Save to save the dashboard file (.dsh) in the Dashboard folder.
- Close the Dashboard Designer to return to the Dashboard view.
Note: The File Menu includes an option to customize Screen Resolutions for the Dashboard Layout. Ensure you set an appropriate Screen Resolution for the layout to minimize scrolling.
Additional Considerations When Using Dashboard Designer
- The same component can be added multiple times (apply different filters/charts views, etc.).
- Header text can be changed, allowing users to repurpose dashboard components in creative ways.
- Changing filters in designer and saving resets filter defaults for all other users
- Size of lists/charts/graphs should be considered carefully; components may not be able to show full data without user interaction.
- Filters may apply to up to 10 users (Premium).
- Too many Stage names/Number of stages in sales pipeline may force display to be truncated in layout.
- Dashboards are shared/public to all users in the database (not per user, but per database).
- ACT! dashboards also work in ACT! Premium for Web (Same paradigm as layouts).
- Start with the table grid, then add components.
- Determine number of rows/cells needed to show full data.
- Consider number of users, stages in pipeline, etc. when planning components and layout.
- Consider print/image view for reports and e-mail.
- Consider whether the component aims to offer an at-a-glance summary, or will users be required to manually "drill-down" to get details.
- Consider adding same component multiple times to show Key Performance Indicators (KPIs).
- Alex Moore's closed sales, Chris Huffman's closed sales, etc.
- Monthly and Quarterly dashboards: same components, different default filters.
- Regional dashboards (Southwest team, Northwest team, etc.).