Product Family: Act!
Product: Act! Pro, Act! Premium
Version: 2008 and later
Internet Mail is a generic Internet-based SMTP/POP3 e-mail service that is available in the Act! software. It is ideal for Act! users who do not have Microsoft Outlook, but who do have an e-mail address that is an SMTP/POP3 type.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Internet Mail cannot be configured to use a specific server port other than the default Outgoing Server Port 25 (SMTP) and Incoming Server Port 110 (POP3). If your email provider requires the use of ports other than these default ports, Act! E-mail will be unable to connect to the Internet Mail account. Additionally, if your e-mail service provider does not allow you to use open relay e-mail accounts, you cannot use Act! E-mail with that specified Internet account (for example, Gmail will not work). This also applies even when the e-mail service provider’s port numbers are 25 for outgoing and 110 for incoming messages. If your e-mail provider is not compatible with Act! E-mail, and you still wish to integrate your e-mail with Act!, it will be necessary for you to configure Outlook to your provider, then integrate Act! and Outlook instead.
To configure Internet Mail as your e-mail client in Act!:
- Click Tools > Preferences
- Under the E-mail & Outlook Sync (or E-mail) tab, Click E-mail System Setup…
- In the Welcome screen that appears, click Next
- In the E-mail screen, click to enable Internet Mail, then click Next
Note: If you choose to use Microsoft Outlook with Internet Mail, you must choose the “Use the Act! E-mail program” option when configuring Outlook
- On the E-mail – Internet Accounts screen, click Add to create an Internet Mail account
- In the User Information tab, complete the following fields
- Account Name: The name you want to appear for this e-mail account
- Real name: Your first name (middle name or middle initial) and last name
- Organization: The name of your company or institution
- My e-mail address: The e-mail address you are sending from
- Reply address: The e-mail address that you would like to use to receive replies to your e-mail messages
- Under the Outgoing Mail Server tab, type the name of your SMTP Server into the SMTP Server field
Note: If you are not sure what this information is, you will need to contact your e-mail service provider to obtain this information
- Enable the “My SMTP server requires authentication option (if appropriate), and then enable either the “Use the same settings as my incoming mail server” option or the “Log on using” option. If you enable the “Log on using” option, you must enter your Account name and Password
- Under the Incoming Mail Server tab, enter the Incoming POP3 server name, the Account user name, and the Password
- Under the Advanced tab, choose whether to leave retrieved messages on the server, or whether you want to remove the messages from the server after a specified number of days.
- Also Under the Advanced tab, click Test connection… to test the connection
Note: If either of the “Log onto …. mail server” tasks display a status of Failed, return to the corresponding tab to adjust the settings. If the “Establish network connection” task fails, check your network connection
- Once all connection tests have passed, click Close on the Test Account Settings dialog, then click Next to advance the E-mail Setup Wizard
- In the E-mail – Editor screen, if you have more than one e-mail system configured for Act!, you can select the e-mail system you’d like to use as the default for sending email. Additionally you can add or edit an e-mail signature by clicking Edit Signatures…
- Once you have configured your signature(s) and e-mail editors, click Next
- Click Finish to complete the E-mail setup wizard