You have successfully installed Act! and you may have successfully launched Sage Act! in the past. However, when you attempt to launch the program now, Act! fails to launch, appears minimized, stops responding, or is running in the task manager but not visible on your screen.
There is more than one cause for this issue to possible occur. Please verify each section.
Act! Window Outside of Monitor Viewing Area
This can occur due to the removal of secondary monitor or changing a monitor's display orientation from landscape to portrait. If this is the situation you may be able to Move the window back into view. Use the following steps to select and move the Act! window into view:
- Click on the Act! application icon in the task bar to select it.
- Depress the ALT key and Space bar simultaneously, then release.
- Depress and release the M key.
- Depress an arrow key and release.
- Now move the mouse around to reposition the screen.
- Left clicking on the mouse will stop the movement.
Act! Window Hidden
In some cases, Act! may be running but the window is hidden. This has been reported when running Act! on a Windows® 7 operating system. Follow the steps below to bring the Act! window into view:
- Click your Windows Start button, and in the Search box type taskmgr
- Press the ENTER key to open the Windows Task Manager
- Locate Act! under the Applications tab
- Right-click Act!, select Switch To
Note: If Act! does not open, right-click and select Maximize or Bring To Front. If these commands do not resolve, right-click in your Windows taskbar (area at bottom of screen where windows are minimized) and select Cascade Windows. This will put all active windows on the screen. Select the Act! window and maximize it.
This issue can also occur if the Act! program has been configured to run in compatibility mode. To resolve this, it will need to be unchecked.
- Right click on the ACT! icon and select Properties.
- Select the Compatibility tab.
- Under Compatibility mode, clear the check for Run this program in compatibility mode for:
- Click on Apply and then OK.
- Click on the ACT! by Sage icon and ACT! will now launch.
Run ACT! As Administrator
Right-click on the ACT! icon and select Run as Administrator.
Disable User Account Control (UAC)
Please refer to the following Knowledgebase Article for steps on disabling UAC in Windows® Vista®:
Answer ID: How to disable Windows User Account Control (UAC) in Windows Vista
Answer ID: How to Change or Disable User Account Control (UAC) in Windows® 7 & Windows Server® 2008
This issue can also be called by firewall or anti-virus software blocking the ACT! process. For more information and guidelines on adding exceptions for your firewall/anti-virus software, please refer to the following Knowledgebase Answer:
Answer ID: Using your antivirus/firewall software with Act!
Act! Process Already Running
Act! can fail to launch if the Act! process did not end during a previous closing of the program. The task will need to be ended in task manager before you then launch Act! again. To do this:
- Right click on your Windows Taskbar at the bottom of the screen, and select Task Manager.
- Locate the Act! (32 bit) process, and click End Task.
- Try launching Act! again.