This issue has been found to occur on computers running Windows Vista or newer, which support and has Hardware DEP (Data Execution Prevention) enabled . The Internet Mail Email Client will still function, but the connection test will fail to successfully complete. You can resolve this issue by disabling Hardware DEP using the TurnDEPOff_22966.bat file attached to this article. Follow the steps below:
- Close Act!
- Click the TurnDEPOff_22966.bat file in the File Attachments section near the bottom of this article. Download and save the file to your computer's Desktop.
- Once the file is on your Desktop, right-click it and choose Run as administrator. When prompted, press any key on your keyboard to run the file.
- When the operation is complete, press any key to close the command screen.
- Reboot your machine for the change to take effect.
- Reopen Act!, set up your Internet Mail account again, and test the connection.
For assistance determining if Hardware DEP is enabled on your computer, as well as a description of DEP, please refer to the following Microsoft® Knowledgebase Article:
How to determine that hardware DEP is available and configured on your computer
For assistance with disabling the DEP settings, review this Microsoft article:
Change Data Execution Prevention settings
For more information on disabling Hardware DEP in your System BIOS, please refer to your system documentation or contact your computer manufacturer.