This is a reported issue that is currently under investigation. This issue has been resolved in many cases by renaming certain files.
Please use the following steps:
- Close ACT!
- Launch Windows® Explorer (or open My Computer or Computer from your Start menu).
- Browse to the following folder:
- Look for the following files, right click on each one and select Rename from the shortcut menu. Add .old to the current name.
- Close Windows Explorer (or My Computer).
- Launch ACT!.
- Test creating a new database.
Note: If you are using Windows Vista or Windows 7 as your operating system and are having trouble renaming the files, then you may need to disable User Account Control (UAC). Instructions for disabling UAC are in the following Knowledgebase articles:
Answer ID: How to disable Windows User Account Control (UAC) in Windows Vista
Answer ID: How to Change or Disable User Account Control (UAC) in Windows® 7 & Windows Server® 2008
If you are still unable to rename the files after disabling UAC, then you may need to enable the built-in Administrator account in Windows Vista or Windows 7, log into Windows under that account, and attempt to rename the files. The following Knowledgebase article provides instructions for enabling the built-in Administrator account:
Answer ID: How To Enable the Built-In Administrator Account in Windows Vista® and Windows® 7