You are attempting to install Act! or the Microsoft SQL Server ACT7 Instance when you received the following error message: "A computer restart is required. You must restart this computer before installing SQL Server."
However after restarting the computer, you find you are continually prompted to reboot and unable to proceed with the installation.
This issue can occur if their is an orphaned key remaining in the Windows® Registry that didn't properly clear after restarting the computer, which will cause the SQL Server installer to trigger the alert that a restart has not been completed.
Please use the following steps to resolve this issue:
Note: The following information is provided as a convenience. Act! does not provide support for Microsoft® Products. For more information on this topic go to Microsoft.com.
- Click Start and select Run.
- The Run dialog box appears. In the Select field, type regedit.
Caution: We strongly recommend that you back up the system registry before making any changes. Incorrect changes to the registry could result in permanent data loss or corrupted files. Please make sure you modify only the keys specified. For detailed information on backing up the Windows Registry, click the link below:
Title: How to Backup the Windows Registry
Answer ID: How to back up the Windows Registry
- Navigate to the following registry key:
- In the right navigation pane, right-click the PendingFileRenameOperations key and select Delete.
- Repeat the steps for the following keys:
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Session Manager\
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Control\Session Manager\
- Close the Windows Registry and reboot the machine.
- Continue with the installation.
If the above steps do not work, proceed to the steps below:
- After receiving the error, open notepad, type anything you want into notepad but do not save it
- Run the installation. When it gets to the error message, go ahead and tell it to reboot
- Windows will pop up with the screen saying you have unsaved files and will give you the option to cancel the reboot. Cancel the reboot and the installation and proceed with installation