Question: Do I need to install Microsoft SQL Server when I install Act!?
Product Family: Act!
Product: Act! Pro, Act! Premium, Act! Premium access via web
Version: 2011 and later
Third Party: Microsoft SQL Server
The Act! installation allows you to perform a custom installation where you can install Act! without installing Microsoft SQL Server. However, the option to exclude the Microsoft SQL Server installation should only be used on workstations which will only be accessing a database (via network share) that is hosted on a machine that does have Microsoft SQL Server installed. You must install Microsoft SQL Server on any machine that will host a main or remote database.
There are additional features which will be unavailable on a machine which does not have Microsoft SQL Server installed. The following is a list of functions which cannot be used on a workstation that does not have when Microsoft SQL Server installed:
- Create a new database
- Create or restore a backup of a database
- Save a copy of a database
- Create, unpack, open, or synchronize a remote database
- Import or Export data to/from another Act! database (can import/export text or Excel files)
- Open the Act! Diagnostics utility
- Use the Act! Email client with an Internet Mail account*, Eudora**, or Microsoft Outlook Express*** (Can still use with a supported version of Microsoft Outlook)
If you install Act! without installing Microsoft SQL Server, but later decide you want to use any of the unavailable features, you can manually install it separately from Act!. For more information, refer to the following knowledgebase article:
How to manually create the Microsoft SQL Server (ACT7) instance
Answer ID How to manually create the Microsoft SQL Server (ACT7) instance
*Act! Email is only available with Act! v23 and earlier
**Eudora is compatible with Sage ACT! 2012 and earlier only
***Microsoft Outlook Express is compatible with Sage ACT! 2013 and earlier only