You try to open your Act! database, when you get the following error message: "An attempt was made to access the framework without having logged on to a database. Please log onto a database first."
You will receive this error if your .ALF (database log file) has become corrupted. You can resolve this error by creating new .ALF file. Act! allows you to recreate the .ALF file using ACTDiag (ACT! Diagnostics Utility).
- Right click the Windows® Start button, select Run and type "actdiag" and press OK. The ACT! Diagnostics utility launches.
- From the top menu bar, click Databases and select Database List.
- Click the gray rectangle to the left of this database name to select the entire line.
- Click the Actions menu, and then click Detach Database from the shortcut menu. A Detach Database message appears, asking if you are sure you wish to detach this database.
- Click Yes at this confirmation message. Another Detach Database message appears to inform you that this database is now detached from the SQL Server®.
- Close the ACTDiag.
- Launch Windows Explorer (or My Computer) and navigate to the location of your database files.
- Rename your existing .ALF with the extension of .old
- Re-launch the ACTDiag.
- Click on Tools and choose "Attach ACT! Database" and click "Missing Log file".
- Browse to .ADF file of your database and click OK.
- Once database is listed in Database List of ACTDiag, you can launch Act! and open database within Act! without error.