You would like to know how to use the new Remote Synchhropnization Setup Wizard in Act! 2013.
Product: Act! Pro, Act! Premium
Version: 2013 and later
The Remote Synchronization Setup Wizard provides a quick, intuitive method for setting up a single remote database for synchronization with the main database. If you need to setup multiple remote databases and have access to additional remote and sync setup features, then access the Synchronization Panel from the Tools menu.
Follow the steps below to use the Remote Synchronization Setup Wizard:
- Open the main database on the server and log in as an Administrator database user.
- From the main menu select Tools > Synchronize Database > Set Up Remote Synchronization. The Remote Synchronization Assistant opens. Click Next to continue.
- Type in the name you would like to use for the new remote database.
- Choose the location you would like the remote database file (.RDB file) to be created. This file will copied to the machine where the remote database will be used. Click Next to continue.
- Select the database user that this remote database is intended for. Selecting a particular user will create a sync set that allows the uses to sync all contacts that they have access to. If you choose All Users, this will any user to sync that remote database and give them access to all contacts. This is not recommended for large databases with many users. Click Next to continue.
- On the next screen, you will need to select how the remote database
will be connecting and syncing to the main database.
Remote computer has network access from the remote to this machine
Remote computer does not have network access from the remote to this machine
- Once you have created the remote database file (.RDB), you will need to copy that file onto the Desktop of the remote machine that will be using the remote database.
- To restore the database, close Act!, then double-click on the .RDB file you copied to the Desktop.
- When Act! opens, you will see a box that allows you to select the location the remote database will be restored to. Click OK to create the remote database.
- Once the remote database has been restored, you will get a prompt to delete the .RDB file for the remote. Since .RDB files can only be unpacked and restored one time, it is recommended you click Yes to delete the file.
- After you click your response, you will be able to login to the new remote database.