How do I copy or move Contact record data from one Contact to another?
Product Family: Act!
Product: Act! Pro, Act! Premium, Act! Premium (access via web)
Version: v18.2 and later
Note: It is recommended that you create a backup of the database prior to proceeding with the steps below. For information on creating database backups, refer to the following knowledgebase article:
How to back up and restore an Act! database
- Create a lookup that contains the contacts you wish to copy data to and from
- Click Tools > Copy/Move Contact Data
- When the Welcome to the Copy/Move Contact data Wizard appears, click Next
- Under Select From, ensure Current Lookup is selected
- Locate and select the first Contact you wish to copy data to or from
- Locate the second Contact and hold down the CTRL key on your keyboard, then click to select the second Contact you wish to copy data to or from
Note: You must press the CTRL key to ensure that both contacts are selected
- Click Next
- In the Specify Source and Target Contact Records screen, compare the data in both columns to verify which Contact should be the source (where the data is being copied from) and which Contact should be the Target (where the data is being copied to)
- If the Contact in the Source column is not the contact you wish to have as the source, click the option to Copy Contact 2 to Contact 1 under Specify Source and Target Contact Record
- When satisfied, click Next
- On the Copy Data from Source to Target Record screen, select a field you wish to copy to the Target Contact, then click Copy
- Repeat step 11 until you’ve copied all desired fields, then click Next
- Decide whether to also move the Notes, Histories, Activities, Opportunities, Secondary Contacts, or Documents from the Source Contact to the Target Contact
WARNING: Step 13 is a move procedure that will not leave those items in tact with the Source Contact. Leaving these items checked will COMPLETELY REMOVE them from the Source Contact. This cannot be undone. If you do not wish to remove these items from the source contact, it is imperative that you remove the checkmark next to each box before proceeding to the following steps. If you would like to manually copy Notes, Histories, or Activities without removing them from the original contact, refer to the following knowledgebase article:
How do I manually copy Notes, Histories, or Activities from one contact to another?
Answer ID How do I manually copy Notes, Histories, or Activities from one contact to another?
- Click Next
- In the Delete the Source record, choose whether or not you wish to delete the Source Contact (cannot be undone), or keep the source contact, then click Next
- Click Finish to complete copying the Contact Data