I am attempting to unpack and restore a remote database, when I receive the following error:
“The database cannot be restored because it has been created in a newer version of Microsoft SQL Server. Please contact your Administrator for assistance.”
Product Family: Act!
Product: Act! Pro, Act! Premium
Version: 2013 and later
Engine: Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2, Microsoft SQL Server 2014
This will occur if you attempt to unpack and restore a remote database to a machine that has an older version of Microsoft SQL Server than what is found on the server, or if the Microsoft SQL Server (ACT7) instance was not properly upgraded on the subscriber machine.
- On the remote computer, press the Windows key + R on your keyboard to bring up the Run dialog
- Type actdiag, then press Enter
- Click OK if the disclaimer comes up, otherwise proceed to the next step
- Next to Server Edition, take note of the Server Edition and Server Version
- Repeat steps 1-4 on the server computer
- If the server shows Microsoft SQL Server 2014, but the remote computer shows Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2, upgrade the Microsoft SQL Server (ACT7) instance on the subscriber. For information on upgrading the SQL Server (ACT7) instance, refer to the following knowledgebase article:
How to upgrade an Existing ACT7 Instance to Microsoft SQL Server 2014 (Express)
- Attempt to restore the remote database again to test