Product Family: Act!
Product: Act! Premium
Version: 2006 and higher
The Act! Internet Sync Service (only available in Act! Premium) allows you to perform synchronization without having to have the Parent database open on the server. This type of synchronization is designed for remote users who may not work in the same network as the Parent database, or who may travel away from the network and wish to synchronize via an Internet connection while away. With this service running in the background, your remote users will be able to synchronize whether Act! is open or closed. Follow the steps below for instructions on installing the Act! Internet Sync Service:
- All Act! users must be using the same edition and version of Act! in order to successfully synchronize
- Internet Information Services (IIS) 5.1 (or higher) is required in order to use the Act! Internet Sync Service. For additional information on installing IIS, refer to http://www.microsoft.com
- The Act! Internet Sync Service for Act! versions 2008 and higher is not supported on Home and Basic versions of Microsoft Windows Vista or Windows 7. This is due to an incompatible version of IIS. Users wishing to sync contact data across the Internet when using these operating systems must sync via Network Sync over the Internet. For more information, refer to the following knowledgebase article:
- Act! uses a Publisher – Subscriber (or Remote) relationship. Remote databases can only be created from the Publisher database. The Subscriber database will initiate all synchronization, and can only synchronize with the Publisher database from which it was created.
- The Act! Internet Sync Service should only be installed on the server where the Parent (Publisher) database resides
- A static IP address is recommended. Using a dynamic IP address can disrupt the ability to synchronize due to their tendency to change frequently. Should you require assistance with this, contact your Network Consultant or Internet Service Provider for more information on obtaining a static IP address.
- The Act! Internet Sync Service runs on the Default Website in IIS, which runs on port 80. In order for synchronization to take place, it is necessary to forward port 80 to the server which will be running the Act! Internet Sync service. Should you require assistance with this, refer to the documentation for your router, or contact your Network Consultant.
How To Use the ACT! Network Sync Service Across the Internet
Answer ID How to use the Act! Network Synchronization Service across the Internet
Installing the Act! Internet Sync Service
- Ensure all applications are closed and disable any firewall or anti-virus software on your machine
- Browse to the location where the Act! install files were extracted (Default is C:\Act!_Premium_XXXX, or C:\Act!_Premium_Web_XXXX, where XXXX is the version number or year, depending on the version of Act!)
- Open the ACT Internet Sync Folder, and double-click Setup.exe to begin the installation
- When the InstallShield Wizard Welcome dialog box appears, click Next
- In the Customer Information screen, enter the requested information, then click Next
- In the Choose Destination Location screen, choose Destination Folder for the installation (if desired), then click Next
- In the Select Program Folder screen, click next to accept the default Program Folder
- In the Start Copying Files screen, review the settings, then click Next to begin the installation
- When the installation completes, click Finish
Note: If you installed from a disc, insert the disc into the drive and browse the disc for the ACT Internet Sync Folder. From there, double-click Setup.exe
Configuring the Act! Internet Sync Service
For instructions on configuring the Act! Internet Sync Service, refer to the following knowledgebase article:
How to manage the Act! Internet Sync Service
Answer ID How to manage the Act! Internet Sync Service