When installing Act! I am prompted to enter the SA password with the following Error: "An existing ACT7 instance has been detected. Please enter 'sa' password to continue installation. If the password is not available the ACT7 instance must be uninstalled manually. Enter the 'sa' password."
Product Family: Act!
Product: Act! Pro, Act! Premium
Version: 2007 and later
This can occur if the SA password is incorrect, the Microsoft SQL Server (ACT7) instance has already been installed and is not started, or if the instance has been installed and was not installed properly.
Reset the SA Password
- Click the Windows Start button and select Run. The Run dialog box appears.
- Type cmd in the Open field, and then click OK. The Command Prompt appears.
- If you are not at C:\ then type cd c:\ and press Enter.
- Type sqlcmd -S(local)\ACT7 -E and press Enter.
- Type sp_password NULL, Act@12345,'sa' and press Enter.
- Type go and press Enter
- Type Exit and press Enter
If the password reset fails, follow the steps in the section below, depending on whether you actually need the Microsoft SQL Server (ACT7) instance installed on the machine receiving the error. If you are not sure whether you actually need to install the SQL Server (ACT7) instance, refer to the following knowledgebase article:
Do I need to install Microsoft SQL Server when I install Act!?
Answer ID Do I need to install Microsoft SQL Server when I install Act!?
If you need the SQL Server (ACT7) instance installed on this machine
Start the Microsoft SQL Server (ACT7) instance
- Leave the password prompt open and follow the steps in the article below to ensure the service is enabled and started:
How to manage the Microsoft SQL Server (ACT7) instance or SQL Server Browser from the Windows Services console
- Go back to the SA password prompt, leave the box empty, then click OK to proceed with installation
Uninstall the existing Microsoft SQL Server (ACT7) instance
- Cancel the Act! installation
- Uninstall the Microsoft SQL Server (ACT7) instance using the steps in the following knowledgebase article:
How to uninstall the Microsoft SQL Server (ACT7) instance
- Reboot your PC
- Attempt to install Act! again
- Cancel the installation
- Browse to the installation files on the C: drive. By default this location will look something like C:\Act!_Premium_Web_v19sp0147
Note: The name of the folder will vary on what version and edition of Act! you're using, but it will be formatted similarly to this.
- Open the Dependencies folder and rename the PreReq folder to PreReqOLD
- Attempt the installation again to test