Product Family: Act!
Product: Act! Pro, Act! Premium, Act! Premium (access via web), Act! Premium Cloud
Version: 2010 and later
If you have a field where the data must be entered into the field in a certain format, such as a number or alphanumeric value that requires hyphens as separators, or the data must start with a number, but can contain alphanumeric values after that, you can format the field to force a specific format. To do this:
Note: This option is only available for alphanumeric field data types, such as Character, Initial-Caps, Lowercase, Uppercase, and URL Address. For detailed information about field data types and how to modify fields in Act!, refer to the following knowledgebase article:
What are fields in Act!?
How to create and manage database fields in Act!
- In Act!, click Tools > Define Fields…
- Select the Record type for the field you wish to format
- Select the field you wish to format
- Click Edit field
- Click Next
- In the “Field format (optional):” box, enter the format you wish to have, using one or more of the following place holders:
- # - forces a numeric value wherever it is placed
- @ - forces an alphabetic value wherever it is placed
- % - forces an alphanumeric value wherever it is placed
Note: You can also place other characters, such as hyphens between the placeholders as separators to automatically insert hyphens between characters. This is useful for fields that contain information like Social Security numbers, or business specific numbers such as policy numbers or account numbers. For example: If the field format rule is configured as %%%-%%%-%%%, then when entering 12E45G78Q, it becomes 12E-45G-78Q.
- Click Finish