This issue has been noted to occur if Outlook Integration is set up with ACT!. You may also receive the error "Operation Failed" when attempting to launch Outlook again, when the process is still running in the Task Manager.
You can work around this issue by manually terminating the OUTLOOK.EXE process in the Task Manager. Please use the following steps to resolve this issue:
- Click the Windows Start button and select Run. The Run dialog box appears.
- In the Open line, type taskmgr.exe and click OK.
- The Windows Task Manager will appear. Click on the Process tab.
- Click on the column header Image Name. This will sort the Processes in alphabetic order.
- Locate and select the process OUTLOOK.EXE. Click the End Process button located at the bottom of the window.
- The following Task Manager Warning dialog box will appear:
- Click Yes to terminate the process. Close the Task Manager.
- In Outlook click the Tools menu, and then click Options. The Options dialog box appears.
- Under the Other tab click Advanced Options from the General section. The Advanced Options dialog box appears.
- Click the Add-In Manager option. The Add-In Manager dialog box appears.
- Disable all options except for ACT! Extensions, and then click OK. The Advanced Options dialog box reappears. Click the COM Add-Ins option. The COM Add-Ins dialog box appears.
- Disable all options, and then click OK. The Advanced Options dialog box reappears.
- Click OK. The Options dialog box reappears.
- Restart Outlook and test.