You may add a Summary field to any ACT! report. A count field will display the total number of records that have data in a specific field. Count fields can be created for Contact, Group or Company fields.
The example in this document is based upon adding a Summary field to count records with data in the Contact field. Summary fields can also be created for the following record types: My Record, Secondary Contact, Contact Activity, Contact Note Contact Opportunity and Contact Opportunity Product.
Follow the steps below:
- Click the Reports menu, and then click Edit Template. The Report Designer launches to the Open ACT! Report dialog box.
- Select the report that you wish to add the count field to, and then click Open. The report template is displayed.
- Ensure that the tool is enabled in the Toolbox, and then drag a new field into any section of your report template. The Select Field dialog box appears:
- If you wish to count a contact field (such as Contact), ensure that the Select a record type: field displays Contact, click the field that you wish to count from the Fields list, clear the Include a label option, and then click Add.
Note: In our example we will add the Contact field. This is appropriate even if the Contact field already exists on the report template.
- Click Close to exit the Select Field dialog box. This field appears on the report template.
- Right-click this new field, and then click Properties from the shortcut menu. The Field Properties dialog box appears:
- Under the Data tab, change the Field Type to Summary. The Summary Field Options defaults to Count.
NOTE: This method will only count Character type fields. Numeric or Currency type fields can calculate other functions.
- Hold your mouse over the bottom (or top) center sizing handle and drag to shrink the height of the new field. (as illustrated below)
- With this field selected, click the View menu, and then click Properties Window. The Properties window appears on the right side of the Report Designer.
- Change the Visible property to False for this field. (as illustrated below)
- Note the Name value in the Misc section of the Properties window for this field. (Contact2 in our example)
- Enable the tool from the Toolbox, and then drag a new field into the desired position of the report template. This is the field in which your actual count will be displayed. If you wish to view this count on each page, drag this field into the Page Header section. If you would like this count to appear only on one page, drag this field into the Report Header section. The Select System Field dialog box appears:
- Clear the Include a label option, click the Custom field, click Add, and then click Close. The Custom field appears in the desired position on your template. The Custom field will execute and report the result
- With this Custom field selected, in the Expression field (under the Data section) of the Properties window, enter the exact field Name noted in step 11 above. (as illustrated below):
- If you wish to add a label for this count field, click the tool from the Toolbox and drag a text field into the template just above or in front of the Custom field.
- With this text field selected, in the Properties window, enter the desired field label as the Text value. In our example we enter Contact Count:as the field label:
- Click the File menu, and then click Print Preview. A Print Preview of the report appears with the count displayed.
- Exit the Print Preview, make appropriate adjustments to the template (if necessary), Save the template. (Click the File menu, and then click Save As to save this template with a unique name)
- Exit the Report Designer.